Looking for a dirtbox for SS amp

althyalthy Frets: 92
Hi, i'm looking for a drive/distortion/fuzz or preamp pedal to get a 90's alternative/Lo-Fi/ shoegazy sound out of an mv 50 clean with a 112, i'm using a squier J-Mascis Jazzmaster. Currently trying out the JB-2 which is cool but the BD-2 side is really spanking my eardrum even w tone knob around 9,  the JHS part sounds kind of fizzy and a tad too much mids for vocals to cut through nicely. Tried and OCD before and it was fine but chords would often lose definition. pork loin didn't do it for me neither did the rat.. OD1-x was kinda cool but there is a bit to much glassiness. i generally scoop the clean a bit ( bass around 9 treble round 1) and give some headroom for the amp to be more dirt friendly.. i'm currently looking at the crowther hotcake the riverside and the empress multidrive if anyone has got any experience w theme and SS amps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Try out the TRex Moller - superb sounds via S/S amps
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Any particular shoegaze bands whose sound you're trying to replicate?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Through a clean amp, I use a DOD 250 (90s US reissue) as my OD stage.
  • Yes, I play a clean SS amp and run dirt through it.  You could stack a Suhr Rufus into another pedal for your fuzz sounds.  The Rufus has two modes (green and red).  The green is more like a classic overdrivey fuzz, and the red is a heavier fuzz sound.  Just beware - it's not a balls to the wall fuzz sound, but if you use it to push a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal, then you it can get ballsy. 

If you listen to the intro of Big Wreck's You Caught My Eye, that's a Rufus into a dirty amp. 

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    a few suggestions:

Rat or clone of    (or Turbo Rat, or You Dirty Rat)

TRex Mudhoney 

MXR Distortion+

Boss JB-2 is flawed as a distortion cos it lacks sufficient eq controls.  Get a different Marshall Shredmaster inspired pedal instead.

p.s.   Vox mv50 isnt SS, it's hybrid.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

edited December 2017
    Two even more specific ones you might like for your tastes:

Penny Pedals Fingerprint Redux 

Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom

I have one of the latter for sale (selling cos i have two of them).
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Tough one.... try a Nobels ODR-1
    You want something that is already smooth rather than something fizzy that you need a tube amp to tame. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Mesa V-1 Bottle Rocket

Big, expensive and needs its own special power supply, but it really works for this. One of the best sounds I've ever got at a gig was one through a borrowed Fender Princeton Chorus.

There's one in the classifieds too. (Not mine!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Coopersonic Valveslapper

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited December 2017
    If you don't like the Boss BD2 you could try the Boss OD3, it's not as bright but is a really good OD. Can be picked up really cheap too.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Tough one.... try a Nobels ODR-1
    You want something that is already smooth rather than something fizzy that you need a tube amp to tame. 
    That is pretty much how I found it too.
    It was the smoother Nobels ODR-1 which finally worked with the new SS Orange CR-120 head. 
    The small collection of ODs which I had that were great with the valve amps before the SS didn't quite cut it with the Orange and I think that's why.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I wouldn't suggest the Hotcake into a clean full range amp - they are better in bluesberry mode but in standard mode they aren't great used like that.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    Thanks everyone for the advices, after multiple trials found out a boss DS1x might just do it for me.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2017
    althy said:
    Thanks everyone for the advices, after multiple trials found out a boss DS1x might just do it for me.
    DS1X is pretty harsh when played through a clean SS amp.  

The best Boss dirt pedal on the market today is the Powerstack IMO but, if you want fuzziness, then I would look elsewhere.  

What about the Boss FZ-5 or FZ-3?
  • Marshall Guvnor...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• althyalthy Frets: 92
     sounds tight and clear w low tuning and decay is actually not square sounding like the analog pedals I've tried. Just works well with this amp. As someone said mv series aren't pure ss 
  • Boss OD-3 or SD-1w... I'm sure Neil Halstead (Slowdive) uses an OD-3 with a Roland JC-120