2017 U1, or Oumamua

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
Unusual shape, not gravitationally bound to the Sun (apparently). 
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/huge-object-passing-earth-could-be-alien-spacecraft-from-another-part-of-galaxy-say-scientists-a3716961.html

I doubt it is, but how cool would it be if it was alien.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72860
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/118902/rendezvous-with-oumuamua

:)

That was the very first thing that I thought when I heard about it, and even more so when the shape was mentioned. I'm sure the astronomers did too...

The really interesting detail for me is that it spins on its axis every 7.3 hours - although I'm not sure that definitely means the longitudinal axis. If it does, I would think it increases the possibility of it not being natural.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I thought I had seen something about it before :)

I just hope it is alien, that would be such as incredible discovery. Rama was a very good book too, although I never read any of the sequels.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It looks like a big turd.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Vogons?
  • Sassafras said:
    Vogons?
    Vegans?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72860
    quarky said:

I just hope it is alien, that would be such as incredible discovery.
    It's unfortunate that it was only discovered after it had passed us, so there was no possibility of sending even the most basic photographic probe to catch up with it.

I have to admit I'm in two minds as to whether I think it could be artificial - the physical dimensions are very unusual, as far as I know it has the highest length to width ratio of any object yet discovered, and if it is indeed rotating on its main axis at that rate, it's far more unusual still. It apparently has a very uneven light curve, but that doesn't actually rule out a cylinder - if it was painted :)... but I am very unsure of whether there is intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy - it's easy to plug numbers into the Drake equation and get a convincing result which shows there must be, but it's also quite possible that one or more of those numbers is wildly wrong (in particular the formation of complex life one - bearing in mind there is as yet no evidence that life has even arisen more than once on Earth, let alone anywhere else) and that the true number is 1. Although it is possible that the Fermi Paradox has just been resolved without us knowing it.

quarky said:

Rama was a very good book too, although I never read any of the sequels.
    Nor me. The original is one of his best works though - hugely imaginative but actually quite believable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I reckon it is intelligent life
    swept by Earth.. took a very quick look at what's going on here
    thought "fk that place" and drove on by
    play every note as if it were your first
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    If it was intelligent life, they could at least have confirmed that the earth is flat.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Clarky said:
    I think you're right. It's packed with aliens but they've turned the lights off and are being very quiet.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Sassafras said:
    Vogons?
    Vegans?
    Couldn't be vegans, they're hardly an intelligent life form.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    I'm surprised that they didn't call it Big Black Mamba. It seems to be heading towards a black hole with fervent excitement.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    It's a f**k off big Monolith a la Arthur C Clarke.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Clarky said:
    I was reading some scientists believe it could be alien, but that it could be billions of years old and therefore an artefact (such as a probe) from a long dead civilisation.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!