Atomic CLR opinions.

I've been using my Atomic Amplifire 12 for a few months now, direct to the mixing board and monitoring via IEM. I'm missing the interaction of having a speaker on stage and I've been looking at going for a FRFR speaker.

The Atomic CLR seems to get a lot of praise but does anyone own one and have first hand experience of using one live?

I have the option of buying one 2nd hand for a decent price. Just unsure whether to take the plunge as it's a still a decent wedge of cash to outlay on something I've never heard in person.

Any good alternatives to the CLR? I see the Alto TS210 mentioned quite a bit, is the CLR in a different league sound wise, or is the Alto a good option. The Alto is still less than half the price of the 2nd hand Atomic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a CLR and have done dozen of gigs with my AX8 through it. You can’t go wrong really, used to have a QSC but the CLR sounds much more “amp like” if that’s even a thing
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    edited December 2017
    Or even better still.......Mission Gemini 2 stereo frfr .........ultimate best there is for modellers 
    look at a the demos/ vids and see why ......it has a control to fade in a realistic amp sound.........no brash ,cold metallic treble or reverb trails
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I only used one in a shop - but yes it's better than the Alto by some margin.
    In my tryout my opinion was the CLR was marginally better than the DXR10 with was quite a bit better than the Alto.
    Factoring price into that I went with the DXR10 but I'd be very happy with a CLR (had I been able to afford one) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    TimmyO said:
    I only used one in a shop - but yes it's better than the Alto by some margin.
    In my tryout my opinion was the CLR was marginally better than the DXR10 with was quite a bit better than the Alto.
    Factoring price into that I went with the DXR10 but I'd be very happy with a CLR (had I been able to afford one) 
    ^^^^
    My thoughts exactly (on a very brief listen to the CLR). I went with the DXR10 as well.
  • I’m with the two guys above... owned the CLR and it was ‘ok’ to my ears...

The DXR10, however, has been superb in every way, imho
  • The key thing is, you'll need to dial in your patches to whatever FRFR you get. If you take a patch created to sound stunning on an RCF NX12 and then play it through a CLR, it's likely to sound like balls! This is exactly what happened to me when I went from the RCF to a CLR, to the point I nearly returned the CLR.

However, I took some advice and rebuilt the patch using the CLR, and it sounded tremendous - better than anything I'd heard before. I've now used the CLR for 4 years and couldn't be happier with my tones.

So, my advice is don't fall into the 'I tried them both and x was better, you should get x' trap... you'll not go wrong getting any of the popular choices, as long as you build your patches with that solution.

Have fun!
    Sukh (ZenRigs)
    I manage Fractal Audio distributor G66 UK (official distributor of Fractal Audio products in the UK) and am also the guy behind a little accessory company called ZenRigs. I also provide private Fractal related training and teach guitar. Hello!
    http://www.g66.eu/   http://www.zenrigs.com/
  • I have had the CLR powered wedge and a Yamaha DXR10 and I liked the CLR better. However, I gave up on the whole FRFR thing, it just sounds too hi-fi to me.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have had the CLR powered wedge and a Yamaha DXR10 and I liked the CLR better. However, I gave up on the whole FRFR thing, it just sounds too hi-fi to me.
    I really dont get statements like this. 99% of the time we listen to a guitar is via a HIFI or PA
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    The Mission Gemini2 is the top of the tree .........CLR is good but not in the same league (or price range)
    If CLR was a BMW then the Mission is the Bentley