Chris Froome now been caught?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    The performance enhancing potential of salbutamol is tenuous at best. At very high doses it's reckoned to provide a slight advantage in a short sprint but at the cost of being incredibly jittery (and probably losing control of your heartrate)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On a lighter note, I wonder if the commuter I passed this morning had OD'd on Salbutamol? He was twitching his head erratically, turning his whole body backwards at times, causing him to weave across the cycle lane. Then he started shouting "Cretins" repeatedly at drivers and pedestrians (and nobody in particular).

I would think that a drug to open the airway might also cause changes elsewhere in the body. Whether that is performance enhancing or not I wouldn't know, but I trust the authorities to make those decisions about which drugs to control the use of.

My feeling is that Froome's use of it is deliberately designed to push the limits of what is allowed. I suspect most, if not all, are doing similar things. He's still a terrific athlete. I'd just like to see a bit more openness about the whole thing. We shouldn't be hearing about this extra dose he took after his urine sample shows a funny reading.
  • When I've had a bad period of asthma, having lots of salbutamol can relieve the symptoms but it makes you feel like shit.  There's no way I would see it as a benefit, although perhaps it would be in elite athletes.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396

When I've had a bad period of asthma, having lots of salbutamol can relieve the symptoms but it makes you feel like shit.  There's no way I would see it as a benefit, although perhaps it would be in elite athletes.

^^This^^
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    strtdv said:
    The performance enhancing potential of salbutamol is tenuous at best. At very high doses it's reckoned to provide a slight advantage in a short sprint but at the cost of being incredibly jittery (and probably losing control of your heartrate)
    It is highly debatable, and you have to ask the question now that you don't require a TUE to use it, why isn't every one of the pro peloton taking it?

OTOH when I was racing I well remember one guy actually rode with an inhaler strapped under his saddle - and he was a heck of a sprinter...  
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    edited December 2017
    This article covered the medical side of things pretty well, and also explains why only being 2% dehydrated by body weight can increase the amount excreted in urine. Exactly the case we seem to have here:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/42350159?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

However it also raises some interesting points regarding why that one sample was so high in comparison to the other days he was riding and also using Salbutamol, a big percentage higher at that. There are zero performance benefits to it and it is just to enable him to perform without his asthma inhibiting him. My worry is what has already been posted before, its being used to potentially mask something else he has taken. I think he will serve a ban tbh, but we shall see.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

Full statement from the UCI:

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-anti-doping-proceedings-involving-christopher-froome/

Tour Starts on Saturday.  Looking forward to it.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4781
    I'm pleased, but now watch the conspiracy theorists get started and see how some drunk French spectators will behave at the roadside when he goes past them. 

It's not Froomes fault that France doesn't have the best cyclists or teams at the moment.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    There will be a backlash for sure, so many Brits even commenting on FB cycling groups about how much of a cheat he is. He has been cleared, just back the guy ffs. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Personally, I'm not convinced that you can win the Tour de France without the benefit of illegal substances. 14 out of the last 25 winners have failed tests. It's endemic in the culture of a sport in which doping used to be legal. 

I'll cry if Bradley Wiggins is eventually found out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Excellent news. Looking forward to Saturday now.
  • Looks like Prudhomme's announcement that Froome wouldn't race Le Tour forced the UCI's hand to accept WADA's decision from a few days ago.
    Can he win 4 Grand Tours on the trot? It's a big ask but I'll say Oui! And Sky have a great plan B with G.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Fair play to him... when I was on drugs I couldn’t even find my bike let alone ride one!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Looking forward to a great three weeks 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Looks like Prudhomme's announcement that Froome wouldn't race Le Tour forced the UCI's hand to accept WADA's decision from a few days ago.
    Can he win 4 Grand Tours on the trot? It's a big ask but I'll say Oui! And Sky have a great plan B with G.

I'd LOVE to see them (including Froomey) ride for G this year and have him challenge the Maillot Jaune, he really deserves it and has the engine to do it I think with Froomey as his #1 lead man.