Filling Imperfections After Primer?

What's Hot

I'm refinishing an old Squier body and have stripped it back to bare wood and am in the process of painting in solid colour.  I filled all the big imperfections with Rustins Wood Filler, but after priming, all the tiny flaws really stand out and I'm worried that they'll ruin the colour coat too.  What's the best way of filling these little 'nicks', and can it be done over the primer before I sand back for the colour coat?

I should say; this is my first time painting a guitar...

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7046
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    Use Ronseal high performance wood filler over the primer you've put on. It's very fine and fills small dings well. It sands very smooth too. Once you've sanded it, apply another coat of primer and sand that level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @SteveRobinson - I'll give that a go!
    tFB Trader
    If you want to get it 100% smooth (as you should of course) I recommend spraying a light guide coat so that you can see where any dips are.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I've found that ] car body knifing putty is excellent for filling over primer. If you need it quickly even the Holts stuff at Halfords for works really well - at least for me on cellulose primer. It dries in about 30 minutes.

I've tried wood filler before (probably just the cheaper Ronseal stuff I think, not high performance) and it wouldn't adhere to a smooth cellulose painted surface. Just refinished a really battered strat body for someone and practically rebuilt the curves of the horns that were damaged when he stripped it with Holts putty.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Yes, the knifing putty is good. It's nitrocellulose-based and what I used to use on car bodywork in the olden days. It does shrink back though whereas the HP filler is catalysed and hard in 5 minutes with no shrinkage.