12 inch baffle for Princeton Reverb

What's Hot
Hey!

Does anyone know where I can order a 12 inch baffle for my Princeton Reverb (ideally one that's already got grill cloth on it as I'm not that practical!) in the UK?

Fancy putting a 12 in my princeton to see if it gives me more oomph and bass...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    I can help, DM me :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    jackorion said:
    Hey!

Does anyone know where I can order a 12 inch baffle for my Princeton Reverb (ideally one that's already got grill cloth on it as I'm not that practical!) in the UK?

What Princeton is it?  If its the 68 Custom version the stock Celestion is not good.  Put a WGS Veteran in it and you should get a significant improvement without needing a new baffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    crunchman said:
    jackorion said:
    Hey!

What Princeton is it?  If its the 68 Custom version the stock Celestion is not good.  Put a WGS Veteran in it and you should get a significant improvement without needing a new baffle.
    It's ok if you're patient. I put a Ragin Cajun in mine and it transformed it on terms of volume and clean, unruffled bass, but I put the stock cheapo Celestion back in when I sold it to the other guitarist in my band. 

He's been running it very loud for the last year in stock form and it sounds so good now I wish I'd kept it!
  • Replace the baffle even if you stay with a 10", mate has a Princeton with a shitty mdf baffle that was much improved with a stiffer one.
  • Wish I'd kept mine with the ragin cajun in. was the perfect amp! Agreed that the rattly stock baffle is worth replacing
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    To those of you who had a Rajin Cajun in your Princeton 68 Custom (@JamesSGBrown, @p90fool):

May I ask: Did you find it a big improvement over the stock Celestion when played clean at “home” volumes?? Or was it only/mainly noticable at distorted gig volumes?

I have a 68 Custom that I run clean at home and at duo/trio jazz gigs, pretty quiet and again clean only. I am very satisfied with how the amp sounds with the stock speaker in these scenarios, but am wondering if it could be even better :-). Or does the Rajin Cajun only really come into its own with overdrive sounds?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    I changed it to get more clean headroom as it's a fair bit louder than the Celestion, and its power rating means it never gets flustered by the sometimes excessive bass in the Princeton circuit. 

For your uses, I'd save your money, the two speakers are actually quite similarly voiced, unless like me you want it to stay clean at higher volume.  

I honestly think the Celestion is a good choice for that amp, it might be a budget choice, but it wasn't done without thought in my opinion. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    Replace the baffle even if you stay with a 10", mate has a Princeton with a shitty mdf baffle that was much improved with a stiffer one.
    Other way round, if it was replaced with ply :).

The problem is that MDF (and particleboard) are *too* stiff for a guitar amp, even though they're ideal for hi-fi, studio monitors etc where you want the cabinet to be as acoustically dead as possible to stop unwanted resonances colouring the sound.

One of the reasons old Fender Tweed amps sound so lively and wonderful is because the baffle is very thin ply - and none too high quality either! - barely attached to the cabinet by only a few bolts, so the whole thing vibrates along with the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Timely thread. Its seems a 10" Ragin Cagin will now on my xmas money shopping list for my 68 PRRI. Thanks forum for spending my money once again!!!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Loosely related, I put a Ragin Cajun in a Blues Junior - and it was also a huge improvement.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Take @RiftAmps up on his offer. Chris really helped me turn My 1 x 15 into a more usable (for me) 1 x 12. Very pleased 
  • ICBM said:
    Replace the baffle even if you stay with a 10", mate has a Princeton with a shitty mdf baffle that was much improved with a stiffer one.

The problem is that MDF (and particleboard) are *too* stiff for a guitar amp, even though they're ideal for hi-fi, studio monitors etc where you want the cabinet to be as acoustically dead as possible to stop unwanted resonances colouring the sound.

One of the reasons old Fender Tweed amps sound so lively and wonderful is because the baffle is very thin ply - and none too high quality either! - barely attached to the cabinet by only a few bolts, so the whole thing vibrates along with the speaker.
    It may have been particleboard. Problem is he was getting rattles and fartiness on the low end at high volume. Tweed flub aint for everyone, just look at mesa cabs.
  • ICBM said:

It may have been particleboard. Problem is he was getting rattles and fartiness on the low end at high volume. Tweed flub aint for everyone, just look at mesa cabs.
  • smigeon said:
    To those of you who had a Rajin Cajun in your Princeton 68 Custom (@JamesSGBrown, @p90fool):

May I ask: Did you find it a big improvement over the stock Celestion when played clean at “home” volumes?? Or was it only/mainly noticable at distorted gig volumes?

I have a 68 Custom that I run clean at home and at duo/trio jazz gigs, pretty quiet and again clean only. I am very satisfied with how the amp sounds with the stock speaker in these scenarios, but am wondering if it could be even better :-). Or does the Rajin Cajun only really come into its own with overdrive sounds?
    It improved things all round imo. Less mud, no harshness. Took pedals incredibly. It was a lot louder but still sounded better even at low volumes. A richer, more interesting sound imo