Greta Van Fleet

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I had the chance to see Greta Van Fleet in London. 

Great stuff! I am glad new bands like them are on the wave now!

Some videos from the gig

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the controversy over this band. I love the fact that fans of a band that ripped off other musicians and plagiarised songs to make a career are seemingly annoyed that a band are ripping off that band. There are loads of people whinging on Twitter about them and its nuts. If they don't like them they shouldn't listen to them.

I like Led Zeppelin because I like their sound and style. In the absence of Led Zeppelin I welcome a sound-a-like to give me the option of hearing that sort of thing live. I don't think they're musically as clever as Zep but they're young.

There are loads of bands that copy - remember Airbourne/DC? I don't see the harm.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited February 2019
    Totally agree. To me it's a style, not a rip off. Anyway, the full album (rather than their first EP release) is much less Led Zep sounding to me.

I saw them last Easter and am going again in a few weeks, still think they're ace. I'm not sure where they'll be in 5 years... but that's part of the excitement with new bands, regardless of the genre they're in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I think that they are a great band. I love Led Zep but they have been history for decades. Like it or not they have been very successful so far. I'm amazed at how petulant people are about the band
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

I like Led Zeppelin because I like their sound and style. In the absence of Led Zeppelin I welcome a sound-a-like to give me the option of hearing that sort of thing live. I don't think they're musically as clever as Zep but they're young.

I really don’t get the “they’re still young” angle. The twins are 22.

Jimmy Page was 24 when he formed Zep, 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22832
    edited February 2019
    SimonC said:
    It's because they look so young.  In fact they look like The Fellowship of the Ring.  I bet the singer's got hairy feet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    So they rip Zep and Zep blatantly ripped off everyone, that's fair enough I guess.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SimonC said:

Not sure I get your point? The ‘they’re still young angle’ isn’t relative to the age and success of Led Zeppelin. I said they’re young, they still have time to grow. That is true. People probably said ‘wow, led zep 1 is a great album, especially for a band so young’. Your comment suggests Zep peaked at Led Zep 1 and from that point on made no musical growth whatsoever. Zep just got better and better and so will GVF because they’re young, like Zep were. 22 is young, so was 24 for Page. Led Zep 1 was amazing for a band so young.

Your comment is basically like shooting someone down for saying a 19 year old footballer has promise because he’s young just because Ronaldo won the FA cup at 19. He was better at that age therefore nobody is allowed to have promise?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    edited February 2019
    SimonC said:

I think this may be a Bad News reference:

Vim Fuego:
    I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    SimonC said:

Not sure I get your point? The ‘they’re still young angle’ isn’t relative to the age and success of Led Zeppelin. I said they’re young, they still have time to grow. That is true. People probably said ‘wow, led zep 1 is a great album, especially for a band so young’. Your comment suggests Zep peaked at Led Zep 1 and from that point on made no musical growth whatsoever. Zep just got better and better and so will GVF because they’re young, like Zep were. 22 is young, so was 24 for Page. Led Zep 1 was amazing for a band so young.

Your comment is basically like shooting someone down for saying a 19 year old footballer has promise because he’s young just because Ronaldo won the FA cup at 19. He was better at that age therefore nobody is allowed to have promise?
    My point was really that as a starting point, Led Zep I is in a whole other league to the GVF debut,.

People probably did say ‘wow led zep 1 is a great album, especially for a band so young”.
    The difference here is that GVF’s age is being used as kind of an excuse for a mediocre album.

I don’t disagree that they have promise, just that they don’t compare to Zep at a similar age.

Psge was a genius at 24, GVF are a long way from that.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    They do try, and I'd rather listen to them than auto tuned pop, but they are trying to clone Zeppelin. Even the drum kit is like bonzos ffs (and very obviously so as so few bands use massive loud drums). 

However if you want to be a viking rock God, and invite comparisons to Sir Percy Plant, then being well over 6 ft and having a python in your pocket really helps. Looking like a 5ft3 extra from the Hobbit does not. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If I looked like the singer I would shoot myself. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As much as people knock them, they are filling out theatres and have just won a Grammy for Best Rock Album.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    As much as people knock them, they are filling out theatres and have just won a Grammy for Best Rock Album.....
    Thus proving what many have suspected for some time, that rock music is truly dead.

They're shit. A third-rate Led Zeppelin tribute band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Wiz. They really are shit.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    It's not that they are bad. It's that there are scores of bands doing the 70s rock thing better than them. 
    You can't move a muscle in Sweden without tripping over a band in flares