Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30302
    Say hello to Prince Phillip for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Mind the corgis ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    Funeeee .....it was pretty good, not quite loud enough for me really, more of a Brian May and Adam Lambert show ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I fear they will end up as an end of a pier band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I fear they will end up as an end of a pier band.

they have been since the day after the Freddie tribute concert .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    It would be like going to see Scotty Moore and The Jordanaires without Elvis. What's the point?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    edited December 2017
    Kilgore said:
    It would be like going to see Scotty Moore and The Jordanaires without Elvis. What's the point?
    I’m not a huge fan of bands touring under their original name, when only half of their original members are in the line up.

Brian May seems a decent bloke - and I can well understand he wants to keep the legacy alive - but I wish he’d brand it ‘Brian May plays Queen’ or something similar.

I can’t imagine the Police without Sting, Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler - Queen without Freddie Mercury just isn’t Queen as far as I’m concerned....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Kilgore said:
    I’m not a huge fan of bands touring under their original name, when only half of their original members in the line up.

Brian May seems a decent bloke - and I can well understand he wants to keep the legacy alive - but I wish he’d brand it ‘Brian May plays Queen’ or something similar.

I can’t imagine the Police without Sting, Dire Straits without Mark Knopfler - Queen without Freddie Mercury just isn’t Queen as far as I’m concerned....
    Yardbirds - ditto, only original member left is drummer, Jim McCarty.

Yes - another band in the same boat, for without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman or Chris Squire, they aren't Yes.

King Crimson - whilst it's admirable that Robert Fripp keeps the show rolling, it's him and a load of session musicians.

Status Quo - only Francis Rossi remains from the original lineup. Despite doing two Frantic Four tours in 2013/14 with Alan Lancaster and John Coughlan, they never 'reformed'. For a couple of years, Status Quo were actually two bands. I'll give Andy Bown a pass since he's been around for a long time, but still, it's not Status Quo any more. Just a tribute that just happens to have one of the past members fronting it.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds - basically another backing band fronted by original singer Kim Wilson.

Hawkwind - more changes than you can strum on a Sunday morning, but whilst the constant is Dave Brock, is it really Hawkwind?

And I could go on ....
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    spark240 said:
    Bham Nia ..will report back later / tomorrow

Bham Nia Rhapsody?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    Kilgore said:
    I’m not a huge fan of bands touring under their original name, when only half of their original members in the line up.

Yardbirds - ditto, only original member left is drummer, Jim McCarty.

Yes - another band in the same boat, for without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman or Chris Squire, they aren't Yes.

King Crimson - whilst it's admirable that Robert Fripp keeps the show rolling, it's him and a load of session musicians.

Status Quo - only Francis Rossi remains from the original lineup. Despite doing two Frantic Four tours in 2013/14 with Alan Lancaster and John Coughlan, they never 'reformed'. For a couple of years, Status Quo were actually two bands. I'll give Andy Bown a pass since he's been around for a long time, but still, it's not Status Quo any more. Just a tribute that just happens to have one of the past members fronting it.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds - basically another backing band fronted by original singer Kim Wilson.

Hawkwind - more changes than you can strum on a Sunday morning, but whilst the constant is Dave Brock, is it really Hawkwind?

And I could go on ....
    I don't know what his plans are but I think Angus should call it a day.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'm all for it! They are a great band with Lambert, he is such a good fit. They sell plenty of tickets so people obviously want to go. I'd happily see them, I have all their albums on vinyl except for the last couple. I was a big Freddie fan but I'm 100% OK with this live band. If there's one thing I'd change, I'd accept the bass player as part of the band. I've seen them on TV and they were obviously told "don't film the bass player - ever!" But ti my mind, if he's on stage he's in the band.
    axisus said:
     I've seen them on TV and they were obviously told "don't film the bass player - ever!" But ti my mind, if he's on stage he's in the band.
    'Hi guys, were Queen but ignore the bass player.'

Nah, it's not for me.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    axisus said:
    I'm all for it! They are a great band with Lambert, he is such a good fit. They sell plenty of tickets so people obviously want to go. I'd happily see them, I have all their albums on vinyl except for the last couple. I was a big Freddie fan but I'm 100% OK with this live band. If there's one thing I'd change, I'd accept the bass player as part of the band. I've seen them on TV and they were obviously told "don't film the bass player - ever!" But ti my mind, if he's on stage he's in the band.
    Oddly whilst the Bass man got a few moments, he was mostly in the dark as was the keys.

Adam did a great job, and I’d don’t think they could find a better man at the moment, He was the singer , but not the front man really, he treats it as a job, he knows he’s never gonna fill Freddie’s role, he stood back when required, I though he got it just right.

i mean....would you turn down that gig !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm not sure why they still do it. They obviously don't need the money. If they just like the thrill of playing live to a big crowd they should do it under their own name. To me its just plain wrong.

Rossi should pack it in. I hope Angus and Brian call it a day. TBH the Rolling Stones should call it quits as well because Keef just ain't up to it anymore. 

I'm so glad Paul Rodgers has the good grace not to try and use the Free name on any of his projects as that would be unforgivable. 

Brain May should have gone out under the name "Brian May and Friends play Queen"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    hywelg said:
    I'm not sure why they still do it. They obviously don't need the money. If they just like the thrill of playing live to a big crowd they should do it under their own name. To me its just plain wrong.

Rossi should pack it in. I hope Angus and Brian call it a day. TBH the Rolling Stones should call it quits as well because Keef just ain't up to it anymore. 

I'm so glad Paul Rodgers has the good grace not to try and use the Free name on any of his projects as that would be unforgivable. 

Brain May should have gone out under the name "Brian May and Friends play Queen"
    Nice of you to offer to run everybody's life
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Well... I disagree with all the nay sayers but only because i saw them a few weeks ago in Belfast and WOW. Amazing show. 

The band were outstanding, engaging and the production was brilliant. I always find it wonderful when a band stop midway through a gig to talk to the audience and have the full attention of the sell out crowd. My wife and I had a very special night seeing them play.

And why should they use a different name? “Brian Mays Queen”? Piss off.

For the record it was actually billed as Queen with Adam Lambert. So there is a differentiation in the two individual acts coming together for these shows. 
  • To be fair to King Crimson, they were always a projekt band, with the sound and vibe defined by the band members who happen to be in the group. They also have very few 'hits to fill a two hour show yo become a 'Tribute band
    There is obviously a market for these old bands to keep touring and play their greatest hits but they will always be a shadow of their former selves, often totally over produced.
    Maybe Angus and Brian should to what Plant and Page did assuming Brian can get his hearing sorted/protected.
  • Just to add to the discussion, can I voice my opinion that 'Martin Turner plays the music of Wishbone Ash' is a better act and more authentic than the real 'Wishbone Ash' fronted by Andy Powell who's been a complete knob over the whole thing.