The Worst Guitar Tone You Have Ever Heard?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The acoustic on Bob Dylan's "Good as I Been to You" album is horrid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
     post post modernism?  

pre-futurism,   obviously

:D

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12369
    ICBM;187374" said:
    Not an electric guitar, but I've just been listening to Warren Zevon's live acoustic album Learning To Flinch, and the Ovation "acoustic" sound on it is just horrendous, even by the standards of 90s "unplugged" tone. Great songs, but the guitar sound is quite distracting.
    Anyone playing an Ovation is pretty much guaranteed a horrible tone. Quite why Fripp insisted on players using them on his Guitarcraft courses is beyond me. Nasty, thin, plastic, synthy sounding, the antithesis of decent acoustic guitar tone really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    edited March 2014
    boogieman said:
    Anyone playing an Ovation is pretty much guaranteed a horrible tone. Quite why Fripp insisted on players using them on his Guitarcraft courses is beyond me. Nasty, thin, plastic, synthy sounding, the antithesis of decent acoustic guitar tone really.
    I know, although I think you can get a tolerable tone out of them if you don't try to make them sound exactly like an acoustic - the older 70s models in particular.

But then I feel the same about the typical Takamine/Yamaha-type piezo-pickup sound which was supposedly an 'improvement' on it as well - horrible, and nothing like an acoustic guitar really. I'd far rather have something primitive like a J160E - nothing like an acoustic either, but at least it sounds good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Worst tone for me has to be Eric Johnson, sickly sweet and saccharin , Re Roy Buchanan, don't forget the pair pf Fender Twins running flat out, sort of explains the paint stripping tone :), awesome player though and hugely influential, RB that is .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    sweepy said:
    Worst tone for me has to be Eric Johnson, sickly sweet and saccharin
    Have to agree with that as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    As much as I love Alter Bridge I find Mark Tremontes lead tone quite annoying.I can handle his rhythm tone but his lead tone just grates on me,it sounds too over processed and often spoils what is generally great guitar playing.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    beed84 said:
    Never been a fan of Mike Stern's tone.  I wish he'd turn his bloody chorus pedal off and buy a decent valve amp.

yes
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901

the solo on Reelin in the years

Not his fault, they had no proper amp in the studio apparently

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ICBM said:
    sweepy said:
    Worst tone for me has to be Eric Johnson, sickly sweet and saccharin
    Have to agree with that as well.
    And me. Johnson's meant to be a first degree tone snob (isn't he the one who insists on a certain type of better in his pedals?) and yet his sound does nothing for me. 

I hate to sound luddite about all this, but unless you're creative and inventive in using effects (and credit to players like the Edge for this) then the Johnson's of this world are never going to sound as good as the Angus Young types who just plug in and play and who really know how to set an amp. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854

the solo on Reelin in the years

Not his fault, they had no proper amp in the studio apparently

Oooof, I like that tone, I always assumed it to be a classic vintagey type valve sound . I have no idea what amp it was played through though.

Shows what I know.

B-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    sweepy said:
    Worst tone for me has to be Eric Johnson, sickly sweet and saccharin , Re Roy Buchanan, don't forget the pair pf Fender Twins running flat out, sort of explains the paint stripping tone :), awesome player though and hugely influential, RB that is .

Not a fan of EJ's clean tones, but his lead tones are lovely.