If you could own your holy grail...would you?

What's Hot
Inspired by @miserneil and the Mick Ralphs tele thread, if you had the opportunity to buy the guitar associated with your hero, would you?

There would be two candidates for me - Malcolm's Gretsch jet and Angus' 70/71 SG. For me, I'd quite like to try them and experience them but owning them would be almost too much of a historical responsibility! 

What guitar would it be for you, and if you could raise the funds, would you buy it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited December 2017

Interesting question.

However (and I'm not being wilfully contrary here), I genuinely don't (or have ever had) a "hero" (of any sort - guitar or otherwise).

Guitarists I appreciate, yes.

But hero? No.

So on that front, I'm out.

Another thing - ergonomics/playability-wise, we're a fickle lot...speaking from experience, I've had the opportunity to handle a number of "celeb" guitars over the years and quite often I've thought "how the F*CK do you play that bag of sh*t?"

UPDATE - Considering the recent discussion on here re. signature guitars (and whether they should be precisely built/set-up to the artist's specs), *if* you acquired a "hero" guitar, would you make it playable for yourself or leave it "as is"?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    It' a bit daft really.. here is a guitar owned by someone famous who will never play it again..
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    @HarrySeven summed up my thoughts on the matter quite nicely :) I used to have a few guitar heroes but I couldn't give a shit any more. Even back then I probably wouldn't have wanted their guitars as I seem to have quite specific tastes about what I like in a guitar, so I'd probably end up modding it and ruining it in the eyes of purists.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    I've a bit of a thing for Chris Poland's semi-hollow Yamaha SG with a floyd in.

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Easy.  Wilko Johnson's red Telecaster.

It's terrible I know, but I remember thinking when we all thought he was going to die, who's going to get his Tele...

Wouldn't even attempt to play it - he doesn't even play it anymore - but if it came on the market that really would be a hard decision.  I doubt it ever will, as we now know Wilko is immortal. 
  • Half of my guitar heroes (like the two in my username) have guitars I wouldn't get on with, playing wise...
  • peglegpetepeglegpete Frets: 133
    edited December 2017
    Already own a guitar built for one of my hero’s... not a “famous” guitarist but a hero none the less... this was custom built for “Stephen hawking”... managed to get my hands on it!...

http://a65.tinypic.com/akd4k5.jpg
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    If it meant having to do battle with Nazis then probably not.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I was planning to try and be fairly strict about future purchases and save towards only buying guitars that have some interesting history or age so this is a great choice for a thread.   
    Even buying parts that have a back story and putting them into a project guitar and a new lease of life is cool.   

I remember a few years ago Steve Rothery sold a few guitars including his Roland guitar synth Strat, I was watching it on eBay and couldn’t get near a computer when it finished so I missed out - it only went for around 1500 iirc which would have been stretch at the time but just about doable.  Heartbreaking to miss it - that’s the guitar in the Kayleigh video and a massive part of why I started playing.   

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two celeb guitars I have previously obsessed over would be Nuno's N4 and Vai's Evo.

(1) I know both of these guitars are borderline fucked
    (2) I would still not be able to shred!

So I'm out.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    I went straight out and bought a Charvel Star as soon as I had the money and it was a let down...

I don't really have another Holy Grail  :/
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    edited December 2017
    I prefer the idea of my guitar ageing with me and being/becoming/remaining my holy grail. While there are people that I admire, my only heroes are my folks.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited December 2017
    Jeff Hanneman Jackson, if it came up for sale I absolutely would be interested

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:

I remember a few years ago Steve Rothery sold a few guitars including his Roland guitar synth Strat, I was watching it on eBay and couldn’t get near a computer when it finished so I missed out - it only went for around 1500 iirc which would have been stretch at the time but just about doable.  Heartbreaking to miss it - that’s the guitar in the Kayleigh video and a massive part of why I started playing.   
    G-505 controller, IIRC.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited December 2017
    1959 Gibson Les Paul -  but I'd take Mark Knopflers '58 too!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • i'm with you on both the Hetfield ESP and Jeff Hanneman Jackson, for me it would be one of these two:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly? Nah.

Firstly I don’t have a holy grail guitar and secondly if it belonged to someone else it’s probably not set up for my tastes anyway, I might want to change parts on it... it would probably make another person much happier to just keep it as is, so I’d pass.

• 1986 Marlin Sidewinder. 
  • The Edge's white Les Paul that he sold a few years back. It might even come up for sale again if/when Guitar Center defaults on its debt!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires