De-floyding a guitar - bridge and nut options

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5687

Never really been a fan of Floyds but have recently acquired a Charvel SoCal so I'm thinking of ways to de-Floyd it.

So far I've come across two bridges on my shopping list, the Floyd without the fine tuners and the Schaller Vintage Trem, both of which are a drop in replacement.  Both look good and tick all the boxes except the arm - one has a screw collar, like an ordinary Floyd (which I don't get on with at all), and the other has a screw in bar which is equally as crude IMHO.

Preferably I'd like a push in bar with a nylon collar and a grub screw for tension adjustment, like on an Anderson for instance - does such a thing exist?

Next is the issue of the locking nut.  I've come across something called an 'Ebanol nut' which is meant to replace the Floyd locking type but I'll be damned if I can find a supplier in the UK, or an equivalent product that does the same thing.

Is there anything else out there that fits?

Now I've said all that I'll end up keeping the Floyd, you watch, lol!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There is a push-in Floyd arm with grub screw adjustment - ask @FelineGuitars to sell you one. Whether it fits old-skool non-fine-tuner Floyd I do not know.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    There is a push-in Floyd arm with grub screw adjustment - ask @FelineGuitars to sell you one. Whether it fits old-skool non-fine-tuner Floyd I do not know.
    Ah!  Fab!  Good stuff to know, thank you @bluechargeboy.

• PS what don't you like about Floyds? The non-fine-tuner one is still a snip the ball ends and clamp jobbie. If you manage to change the nut, the original bridge will essentially work just the same as the non-fine-tuner one.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    With all due respect I think you've got the wrong guitar for someone who doesn't like Floyds.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    With all due respect I think you've got the wrong guitar for someone who doesn't like Floyds.

Very possibly, but it's a bit of a quest to create one guitar that will do everything I want.  I wanted something Fender-ish but with a nicer neck.  I can live with the Floyd and may well do just that but would like to know my options should I want to change things about a bit.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4948
    FX_Munkee said:
    That was my first thought too.
    I suppose replacing the body with a hardtail one would be an option.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    prowla said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    And replace the neck with a non locking nut one.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    FX_Munkee said:

Nooooo!  I still do want/need a trem.  Hence why I'm researching drop in replacements for Floyds. 

To be fair the Floyd works well, who knows, maybe I'll come to love it.  The bar is horrible though, too long and way too high, that's getting a date with a hacksaw and a vise no matter what happens! 

• FYI I found the push-in arm to stick out more than the collar version (higher over the volume knob).

I would keep trying with the Floyd, it takes a bit of doing to get used to them and start using them musically but it will start to come together after a while. I am currently getting the hang of it (on a Charvel So-Cal) after 32 years of playing without one!!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    What specifically do you not like about the Floyd?
    tFB Trader
    On my own one with push in bar - i found that I preferred it after i reduced the bar height on a grinding wheel.

Some of the Eastern made Floyds used in OEM have a bar with a collar that is taller than the German made Schaller one

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Maynehead said:

Lots.  It's ugly to start with and certainly not elegant.  A bit more fiddly to set up (a lot more if needing to reset the intonation) and restring. I personally think they don't sound as good as other trem bridges and I don't like the feel when muting strings. 

Also I've never been able to get the right tension on the bar of any Floyd equipped guitar I've owned (this is not my first).  One of the reasons I want a push in bar with a simple set screw adjustment, much easier to swing around and position - I've always found a Floyd is either too lose, swinging everywhere and wobbling in the baseplate or far too tight and can't easily shove it out of the way when not being used.

edited December 2017
    Haych said:
    Maynehead said:

Lots.  It's ugly to start with and certainly not elegant.  A bit more fiddly to set up (a lot more if needing to reset the intonation) and restring. I personally think they don't sound as good as other trem bridges and I don't like the feel when muting strings. 

Also I've never been able to get the right tension on the bar of any Floyd equipped guitar I've owned (this is not my first).  One of the reasons I want a push in bar with a simple set screw adjustment, much easier to swing around and position - I've always found a Floyd is either too lose, swinging everywhere and wobbling in the baseplate or far too tight and can't easily shove it out of the way when not being used.

Sounds to me like you need the Schaller Vintage Tremolo

https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp135040/Vintage-Tremolo-right.htm
    Maynehead said:
    Haych said:
    Maynehead said:

Sounds to me like you need the Schaller Vintage Tremolo

https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp135040/Vintage-Tremolo-right.htm
    Yep, that was the one I was thinking too. 

There seems to be only that one and the original Floyd reissue on the market as far as I can see. 

The Floyd Original original still has 3 of the things you hate though... namely cutting ball ends off, screw in arm and fiddly intonation.

The Schaller basically turns it into a Fender bridge on Floyd posts.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4948
    Haych said:
    prowla said:
    FX_Munkee said:

Nooooo!  I still do want/need a trem.  Hence why I'm researching drop in replacements for Floyds. 

To be fair the Floyd works well, who knows, maybe I'll come to love it.  The bar is horrible though, too long and way too high, that's getting a date with a hacksaw and a vise no matter what happens! 

Ah - I understand!

There are some Wilkinson 2-post ones which you could maybe check out... (I don't know for sure, so just suggesting.)
    Maynehead said:
    The Floyd Original original still has 3 of the things you hate though... namely cutting ball ends off, screw in arm and fiddly intonation.

The Schaller basically turns it into a Fender bridge on Floyd posts.
    True, plus it’s less expensive than the original Floyd ;)

tFB Trader
    The bigger blocks you can get improve the feel i find and add back some of the oomph!
    Getting the spring tensions right and having the springs under enough tension at all times is another reliability factor I have found to be important