That dreaded untraceable intermittant fault nightmare thing

What's Hot

Really loving the Egnater Rebel 30 I bought a while back here. Its the gigging function/wedding/pub guitarists dream amp really as its so bloody versatile.

Anyhoo - played a bigger venue on Saturday that necessitated putting everything through the PA. The Rebel has a XLR emulated output for this very purpose (our sound man hates mic-ing amps) - So I used it.

All well and good until the end of the 1st set when I noticed the amp cutting in and out. I couldn't really hear if it was cutting right out or just dropping dramatically in volume. Then, all was well. I didn't change anything or do anything to make it come good, it just did.

Only thing that I have done differently that night was to use the XLR out to the PA, I had rewired my pedal board but that, I'm sure is ok.

I hate intermittent faults. I'd sooner the amp just exploded

Unlikely but, any ideas @ICBM @ECC83 et al

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I'd start by looking at the XLR lead you used.

If that's known to be a good lead then I'd try to use the amp at home, in silent mode, running the record output into a stereo or some other amp.  See if any odd drops occur then.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Possibly telling  granny how to suck eggs but had you used the XLR out before?
  • No never @cj73 ;
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    No never @cj73 ;
    That's a schoolboy error. It's like a contestant on Masterchef just cobbling something together on the day rather than using a recipe they'd used before many times. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    Even if all 3 pins on the XLR cable were shorted together it wouldn't make the amp cut out .....either the amps got a fault or the pedal board rewire is to blame 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Even if all 3 pins on the XLR cable were shorted together it wouldn't make the amp cut out .....either the amps got a fault or the pedal board rewire is to blame 
    See, that's what I thought Danny.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Looks as thought the EM output is derived from the cathode circuit of the PI? If that is the case loss of heater volts would cause loss of XLR feed. Dry joints on heater supplies are not unknown?

Image result for egnater rebel 30 schematicdave

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    On the Rebel 30 the XLR emulated output is derived from the 8 ohm tap of the output transformer, which is also used as -ve feedback into the PI cathode leg. It is then processed through a series of op-amps to the XLR socket. So first question would be, was there a drop off in actual speaker volume at the cab or was it just through the PA? To be honest, a cable / plug issue would be my first port of call.  
  • It was the amp dropping out
  • @Travisthedog Glad you're enjoying the amp, dude. I used it many times like that and it worked perfectly apart from one time when the sound guy had a dodgy cable. When I switched to silent mode, it worked fine. Turned out the vibration from the amp caused a problem on a semi-dry solder joint. 

In my experience, 99% of sound issues are cable-related. 
  • Hi @vasselmeyer ;
    Yeah I'm certain it's a cable. I've gigged it hard since I bought it and it's been fab. I really really love this amp and the rest of the band do to. It's so easy to balance it!! And get any sound you like out of it!!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    It was the amp dropping out

If the amp was dropping out, not just the feed to the PA then it's not likely to be the XLR cable.

It's not something as simple as a valve going bad is it?