decent phaser that can be subtle?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
I mean no huge whoosing sweep...just nice n subtle, a lot don't seem to have rate & depth controls like say on a chorus...my phasers ok (Joyo rip off of the MXR)...but even on a low setting its still too much of a sweep for what I am aiming for. The old original Foxx Phaser as used by Brian who is also called May back in the 70s was nice...but the reissues sound nothing like that. Anything out there that's saucy with rate and depth controllability?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The phase 45 and script phase 90 are pretty subtle, as is the non ‘color’ mode of the ehx small stone. I always put a phaser BEFORE overdrive to minimise the ‘whoosh’!
  • i have a mint in the box tone city summer orange 4 stage phaser i dont use, i could sell you for £16 posted, let me know if interested.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    try to get something with a depth control.
    i recommend the visual sound garagetone oil can
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    I have an original, vintage MXR phase 45 script if you're interested. It's a lovely thing... not cheap but amazing. I'm asking £145 delivered.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7811

Mr Black Gilamondo ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    edited December 2017
    Best mild/always on phase I've come across is the DOD 201 Phasor. It's a 2 stage phaser. Makes everything sound good. It only has single control; Speed but that's all you need with this one.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    edited December 2017
    +1 for the dod if you want subtle. Find it too subtle for me after years of an ehx small stone, so mine is going unused, pm me if you are interested.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Decent phaser that can be subtle? That would be a P45.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Yeah evidently - been watching some demos including the phaser roundup on "that pedal show" Sounds like it'd be a definite fave....need to keep my eyes peeled for a decent priced used one now methinks.

Just tried my old Joyo Vintage Phase (cheapo Phase 90 clone) again....not touched it for about 18months and I'm actually impressed with it again...was doing some fine EVH toanz @ 9-10 o'clock and on 12-1 o'clock it was doing a reet good Floyd SOYCD. Funny sometimes you don't appreciate stuff you've already got lying around gathering dust! :o

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited December 2017
    juansolo said:
    Decent phaser that can be subtle? That would be a P45.

I have to say, firing someone over their choice of modulation pedal seems a tad harsh.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    The Whirlwind Orange box is a great phaser, it does the whole MXR thing perfectly but with modern upgrades (true bypass, 9v power input).
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • zepp76 said:
    The Whirlwind Orange box is a great phaser, it does the whole MXR thing perfectly but with modern upgrades (true bypass, 9v power input).
    But that's a Phase 90, subtle yes but not as much as a Phase 45. Don't they do a 45 though?

I'd try the MXR Phase 95, all the flavours in one box and small.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dod 201. Perfect.
  • If you are still looking, I have a mint TC Helix Phaser, which does a lot of awesome stuff with the toneprint tech behind it.
  • I'd offer the Digitech Hardwire SP-7.  It's got a lot of variations on offer so the base sound can be the type you wish, but importantly, it has a mix knob - so you can dial down the effect, as subtle or blatant as you wish.

For me, it's replaced a whole wealth of phasers and is both more versatile and easy to use.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    The Keeley Phase 24, lovely 2 or 4 stage phaser...

that I no longer need :)

Pm if interested
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11889
    siraxeman said:
    I mean no huge whoosing sweep...just nice n subtle, a lot don't seem to have rate & depth controls like say on a chorus...my phasers ok (Joyo rip off of the MXR)...but even on a low setting its still too much of a sweep for what I am aiming for. The old original Foxx Phaser as used by Brian who is also called May back in the 70s was nice...but the reissues sound nothing like that. Anything out there that's saucy with rate and depth controllability?
    Rate and depth controls?

(disclaimer...I do work for CBA for the pics)

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^what is that!!?? :o
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    siraxeman said:
    ^^what is that!!?? :o
    The opposite of this...