I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2645
    My Way - the story's even more complicated than that: Before the Paul Anka version (which isn't really a translation), a very young David Bowie gave it a shot, though I think the only version of that exists is him singing over the Claude François version in an ad hoc fashion. In any case, Life On Mars is musically very similar, and I think you can sing one over the chords of the other. At least you can if you're as drunk as I was when I gave it a shot. 

Anyway, there's a very interesting Arena documentary about it, from the 80s, if you can track it down. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14412
    edited April 28 tFB Trader
    JAYJO said:
    S56035 said:
    I’m a believer - never knew that Neil Diamond wrote it
    S'not a cover though. Just not written by the Monkees.
    Neil Diamond may have recorded it....making it a cover..
    I think at the time Neil D only had a demo copy as such and not a final/finished version- But it was enough to tempt The Monkees management to record it , although not all Monkees were in favour of it - 2/3 weeks later it was #1
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12001
    edited April 29
    Clashman said:
    I had Goodbye Jumbo and Bang by World Party and was gobsmacked when I found out
    they wrote She's the one ...
    Yeah, it's on Egyptology.  

The Williams cover meant Karl Wallinger didn't really need to work again.  RIP Karl.

*EDIT - Pah!  Didn't realise this was a necrothread!  Pay more attention Offset...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Offset said:
    Clashman said:
    Yeah, it's on Egyptology.  

The Williams cover meant Karl Wallinger didn't really need to work again.  RIP Karl.

*EDIT - Pah!  Didn't realise this was a necrothread!  Pay more attention Offset...
    I think they screwed him a bit by putting 'She's the One' on a double A-side with the forgettable 'It's Only Us.' I'm sure the vast majority bought the single for Karl's tune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7408
    Offset said:

It's puzzling why a long-dead thread suddenly pops up on the list of recent ones, and when you open the link it opens to something like page 10 of 18.  The only thing I can think is that somebody has looked back at their previous posts, or done an internal or external search for something and it's brought up a thread they contributed in, and they have then done a minor edit like fixing a spelling mistake that makes it appear as a recently updated thread.  Strange.

Anyway, while I'm here, I used to think that Vigilante Man was a Nazareth song until I heard Ry Cooder performing it and realised (wrongly of course) that he had written it.  Many years later I discovered both of them were actually doing a cover of a Woody Guthrie song, but in a dramatically different style from the original.  I can enjoy it done in both styles.
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 698
    edited April 29
    Clashman said:
    Legend has it that so was Robbie.

Edited to add: @Offset, I was also lured here without realising how old it was.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1101
    I always enjoy the fact that arguably MJ’s biggest song post death Man in the Mirror is essentially a cover as the only song he didn’t write on Bad.
    edited April 29
    BillDL said:
    Offset said:

It's puzzling why a long-dead thread suddenly pops up on the list of recent ones, and when you open the link it opens to something like page 10 of 18.  The only thing I can think is that somebody has looked back at their previous posts, or done an internal or external search for something and it's brought up a thread they contributed in, and they have then done a minor edit like fixing a spelling mistake that makes it appear as a recently updated thread.  Strange.

Anyway, while I'm here, I used to think that Vigilante Man was a Nazareth song until I heard Ry Cooder performing it and realised (wrongly of course) that he had written it.  Many years later I discovered both of them were actually doing a cover of a Woody Guthrie song, but in a dramatically different style from the original.  I can enjoy it done in both styles.
    Hindu Love Gods also did a version of Vigilante Man which I rather liked

* EDIT - I adored Nazareth.  Their cover of This Flight Tonight is a work of genius.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1464
    LPManic said:
    I always enjoy the fact that arguably MJ’s biggest song post death Man in the Mirror is essentially a cover as the only song he didn’t write on Bad.

Written by Alanis Morrisette's songwriter / manager, wasn't it? Can't unhear her singing it now.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    edited May 1

We all know this of course.................

I don't know if there is an actual original recording anywhere.  Aha !  This was released later.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14578
    Offset said:
    I adored Nazareth. Their cover of This Flight Tonight is a work of genius.
    I greatly admired their recording of Gone Dead Train until I discovered the Crazy Horse original. 

Come to think of it, Crazy Horse's recording of I Don't Wanna Talk About It knocks Rod Stewart and Everything But The Girl's versions into a cocked hat.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    Offset said:
    * EDIT - I adored Nazareth.  Their cover of This Flight Tonight is a work of genius.
    Ooh, there's a band I was never able to get into.  Music that just didn't live up to the album covers.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    SRV’s stuff….Things that I used to do & the sky is crying 
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Ooh, there's a band I was never able to get into.  Music that just didn't live up to the album covers.

This was a great cover, but it wasn't one of their great albums.  Their version of 'Love Hurts' was, in particular, a stinker..

Dan McCafferty had one of THE great British rock voices, and I absolutely adored Manny Charton's guitar work, especially his slide.

Nazareth  Hair Of The Dog 2022 CD - Discogs

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

This was a great cover, but it wasn't one of their great albums.  Their version of 'Love Hurts' was, in particular, a stinker..

Dan McCafferty had one of THE great British rock voices, and I absolutely adored Manny Charton's guitar work, especially his slide.

Nazareth  Hair Of The Dog 2022 CD - Discogs

The covers looked like they belonged to a metal band, didn't they?  I used to look at these and think wow, but then I'd hear some of the tracks and... no.  It's just not for me.