Photography without Adobe?

What's Hot
I'm thinking of purchasing new raw and in depth editing software in order to save some money by getting out of the Adobe workflow (about a tenner a month).

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use? I use Lightroom for file management and raw processing, and Photoshop for retouching and selective sharpening (this only applies to 5-10 percent of my images). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could try GIMP.  
  • I use gimp photo editor.

https://www.gimp.org/
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Affinity is my fave non Adobe editor.
  • Thanks chaps.

Not a fan of gimp - found it slow and not great for organising stuff... 

Affinity is on my list. Dxo mark's software is too - any thoughts? 

Macphun luminar? 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    I tried Capture One at ver 8, it's currently at ver 10. I found it overkill for my needs but it's certainly a fully featured library and editing app.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I have PhotoNinja for RAW processing which I got when I had Nikon Canon and Fuji hardware.

It's a terrific file converter and though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a proper editor it has pretty much everything I need.  I think it is far and away the best converter for Fuji RAW files which others including Adobe have had problems with.  The sharpening/detail function and highlight recovery tools are outstanding.  The only issue I have with it is I think for Nikon files it doesn't quite render colours as well as Nikon's own software.  TBH I just use the Nikon free converter for  NEF files.

You can download a free trial of PhotoNinja from the Picturecode website.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2017
    I'm thinking of purchasing new raw and in depth editing software in order to save some money by getting out of the Adobe workflow (about a tenner a month).

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use? I use Lightroom for file management and raw processing, and Photoshop for retouching and selective sharpening (this only applies to 5-10 percent of my images). 
    Avoid [EDIT] Corel Aftershot like the plague.
    I got it for much the same reasons as you've mentioned.
    I went for Aftershot 3, whatever the top tier was and basically it left artefacts on many images once you convert back to jpeg. 
  • Try a very old pre-cc version. Finding it and making sure the installer is virus free may not be so easy.
    PC version easier to get running than Mac I'm told.
  • Try a very old pre-cc version. Finding it and making sure the installer is virus free may not be so easy.
    PC version easier to get running than Mac I'm told.
    Cannot update RAW tho if you have modern camera. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11933
    I've used paintshop pro for years, and camera vendor software for exposure correction

I just got the latest PSP, not sure if it can do exposure tweaking, haven't really tried it much yet
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I've used paintshop pro for years, and camera vendor software for exposure correction

I just got the latest PSP, not sure if it can do exposure tweaking, haven't really tried it much yet
    I use Paintshop Pro as well, very easy to use and gives excellent  results. Mines a fairly old version but the newer versions apparently don’t have many improvements that make it worth upgrading. Way cheaper than Photoshop too, think it was a £40 one-off purchase. 
  • Cannot update RAW tho if you have modern camera. 
    There's a plug in to add RAW access - PC not sure about Mac.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    We use this as well as Adobe .. it's very good.

https://www.on1.com/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11933
    boogieman said:

I use Paintshop Pro as well, very easy to use and gives excellent  results. Mines a fairly old version but the newer versions apparently don’t have many improvements that make it worth upgrading. Way cheaper than Photoshop too, think it was a £40 one-off purchase. 
    I had a 10 year old or more version, went to upgrades in it, and got the latest for much less than any deal, about 75% off I think. 
    First things I have noticed are 64 bit processing, and face recognition 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    I briefly looked at switching (from Lightroom) after the Lightroom 'Classic' announcements. My conclusion was, if I am going to jump, I'll wait 6 months and look again. Adobe have fired the starting pistol with the last round of announcements, but it will take a while for the competitors to get serious offerings on the table. At the moment, Lightroom is still cheap and I don't think there is much serious competition.

In honesty, I think Lightroom is great, and Adobe will have to really start taking the piss before I jump. I do think Adobe will really start taking the piss pretty soon though, but for now, it's pretty cheap. 

• Cannot update RAW tho if you have modern camera. 
    There's a plug in to add RAW access - PC not sure about Mac.
    Not for newer camera tho. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    I bought Lightroom 6 rather than signing up for CC, much prefer the single payment rather than subscription scheme. I got an upgrade from LR3 for something like £50. Might that be a way you could keep LIghtroom, as it really is brilliant?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    I bought Lightroom 6 rather than signing up for CC, much prefer the single payment rather than subscription scheme. I got an upgrade from LR3 for something like £50. Might that be a way you could keep LIghtroom, as it really is brilliant?

Indeed, but it won't be getting any further updates. No good for new cameras. 

I don't mind the cost of lr + Ps, but I was wondering if there was an alternative... I know capture one is quite popular, and affinity, but they don't seem to do what lr Nd Ps do. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2105
    I’d stick with CC ps and lr. It does what it needs to do and does it well... well, I haven’t experienced anything to make me want to move to another system anyway.

I also don’t have a problem with the monthly subscription. When you factor in buying the software outright and then subsequent upgrade costs, it seems pretty affordable?

I’m also too lazy to learn another system
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Budgie said:
    I’d stick with CC ps and lr. It does what it needs to do and does it well... well, I haven’t experienced anything to make me want to move to another system anyway.

I also don’t have a problem with the monthly subscription. When you factor in buying the software outright and then subsequent upgrade costs, it seems pretty affordable?

I’m also too lazy to learn another system
    I guess it depends what you’re using the software for. I only use mine to do fairly basic things like adjusting white balance, levels, sharpening, cropping etc. I can’t justify paying a monthly outlay on that. Paintshop Pro works perfectly well enough for me anyway. I can see the need for something more powerful if you’re a pro or sell your pictures.