Stand Advice / Help

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I should have posted this before posting on the Fender rip off thread, it just blew my socks off at with the crazy advice

I'm looking for something like this https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Rockstand-9-er-Multiple-Flat-Pack-Stand-RS-20863-B-2/art-GIT0012183-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-p7a1baZ2AIVrLftCh17kwooEAQYASABEgJjVPD_BwE

however (for once) the vendor clearly marks out that this stand is not good for nitro painted guitars. I either need a version of this that is nitro friendly, or....a way to make this nitro friendly, eg: cover the foam with something else, but that doesn't feel a good idea, more so for me to do it.

Is there a way to make this actually safe with nitro guitars that doesn't require a high level of "DIY" style skill.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Black felt wraps... Or bike handlebar tape. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    thats an interesting idea, so just cover all the "foam" with a tape of some sort, that would be pretty straight forward. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited December 2017
    The best solution for me was to order an Adam Ant signature guitar from Amazon. 

They throw in a free stand - and deliver....
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    thats an interesting idea, so just cover all the "foam" with a tape of some sort, that would be pretty straight forward. 
    Yep, I've done it myself. Go to your local Dunhelm Mill and you can buy black felt off the roll. Cut into long strips and then wrap each bit if exposed foam that'll come into contact with a nitro guitar. Stick or pin / staple the end of each wrap somewhere unseen. That's cheaper than the bike bar tape, but not as pretty. Cork tape would likely work best as a lot of the others are foam based so you'd have no idea if it's safe. 

• I think cork tape is basically plastic/foam based and only has cork bits in it to change the feel. I wouldn’t trust it without trying it first. Google Velox Tressorex tape (99p a roll from Ribble Cycles) - it’s cotton, but even so, some solvents from the adhesive might leach through.
    does this look acceptable ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGOU-Black-Camouflage-Handlebar-Plugs/dp/B01D9YJGJE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1513841877&sr=8-5&keywords=bike+bar+tape

a quick google suggests it "should" be, some (non-binding) second opinions would be appreciated. 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    König & Meyer with translucent thingies.

I've been using one for a few years now, and there's no sign of it affecting nitro.
    the bike tape turned up today, feels nice, feels a bit "rubbery" is there any way to check the make up of this (I ordered the stuff off Amazon in the link) to make sure it will be ok on the nitro finish guitars ?
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Cut up a cotton towel and stick it to your stand with double sided tape
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9624
    edited December 2017
    darcym said:
    the bike tape turned up today, feels nice, feels a bit "rubbery" is there any way to check the make up of this (I ordered the stuff off Amazon in the link) to make sure it will be ok on the nitro finish guitars ?
    That’s made from EVA foam, which from a quick google appears to outgas organic molecules which react with nitro finishes. It’s ok... for bike handlebars!
    darcym said:
    That’s made from EVA foam, which from a quick google appears to outgas organic molecules which react with nitro finishes. It’s ok... for bike handlebars!
    so useless to me, arse, I'll have to find something better than this then. Thank you.
    pmg said:
    not really a great solution loads of cotton towels cut up all over the stand. probably do the job, just not a great way of doing it

• stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    an interesting idea I'd not considered, I'll investigate that. Be so much easier if they just charged the extra £8 it would need to use non-problem foam.
  • darcym said:
    pmg said:
    not really a great solution loads of cotton towels cut up all over the stand. probably do the job, just not a great way of doing it

You could always use tie wraps to secure towels. Not pretty, but it would get the job done.

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
    darcym said:
    pmg said:

You could always use tie wraps to secure towels. Not pretty, but it would get the job done.

probably like the bar of quality set one notch higher than that, I'm looking at using the cotton suggestion above and doing it tidy with a few extra bits, as well as the piping. The bike tape option was the "nicest" but typical the bike tape I got would be worse than the foam.
  • The black felt is still the cheapest way of doing wraps and has the added benefit of being available on the roll so you can cut to width and length as desired. 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I just used a 100% cotton bedsheet to cover the foam on my stand.