iPhones

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    mellowsun said:
    Crazy idea and I know it’ll never catch on, but why not just allow the battery to be replaced?
    They do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    My 5 year old ipad is now really slow to the extent that I'm gonna get a cheap Samsung tablet and ditch the ipad.
  • impmann said:
    Apple say that replacing the battery restores the speed. How? How does it know that it has a new battery? Surely a fully charged battery delivers the same electricity whether or not it is 'new'? Or is this a magic battery?

FWIW, my iPhone5 has done the same.... slowed down to a crawl and it *was* doing the crash at 22% battery power. There was another update (after a barrage of complaints from users) that miraculously stopped this. I'm 99% certain that this is a cynical attempt to get me to 'upgrade' - yet I don't *want* another phone, I like(d) this one. It was much faster, it worked well and it hasn't been abused. Therefore the only change has been Apple's "updates"...

But for the record, I'd rather roger myself with barbed wire than have anything with a Samsung (Smugsam) badge. Dogshit company to deal with.

My MacBook pro can't be updated as Apple has stated that it won't work with High Sierra... however, it should work with Mountain Lion etc... but I can't update to that as that software isn't available. Now I can't listen to Mp3s or Wavs on it because its bitching that iTunes is out of date, but I can't update that because the OS isn't currrent. I can't update the browser because of the OS so certain websites are impossible to use. Round and round we go...

Its not on, really.

It's to do with how much energy the processor draws from the battery.  I think when the OS detects the battery is getting less efficient it drops the amount of energy taken from the processor to try and make the battery last as long as possible on a charge.  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12380
    ICBM said:
    mellowsun said:
    Crazy idea and I know it’ll never catch on, but why not just allow the battery to be replaced?
    They do.
    You can indeed, but it’s not exactly easy. Apple will relieve you of 70 odd quid for doing it. You can do it yourself of course but it’s an incredibly fiddly job and a lot of people won’t risk it. Why not just make it simple (like using the old slot in type battery like the old Nokia’s) ? 
  • boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    mellowsun said:
    They do.
    You can indeed, but it’s not exactly easy. Apple will relieve you of 70 odd quid for doing it. You can do it yourself of course but it’s an incredibly fiddly job and a lot of people won’t risk it. Why not just make it simple (like using the old slot in type battery like the old Nokia’s) ? 
    Integrity of the device + being waterproof + ability to downsize I guess. I used to like being able to buy new and replace the batteries in my older smartphones. Samsung don't do that with newer devices either.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    impmann said:
    Apple say that replacing the battery restores the speed. How? How does it know that it has a new battery? Surely a fully charged battery delivers the same electricity whether or not it is 'new'? Or is this a magic battery?

FWIW, my iPhone5 has done the same.... slowed down to a crawl and it *was* doing the crash at 22% battery power. There was another update (after a barrage of complaints from users) that miraculously stopped this. I'm 99% certain that this is a cynical attempt to get me to 'upgrade' - yet I don't *want* another phone, I like(d) this one. It was much faster, it worked well and it hasn't been abused. Therefore the only change has been Apple's "updates"...

But for the record, I'd rather roger myself with barbed wire than have anything with a Samsung (Smugsam) badge. Dogshit company to deal with.

My MacBook pro can't be updated as Apple has stated that it won't work with High Sierra... however, it should work with Mountain Lion etc... but I can't update to that as that software isn't available. Now I can't listen to Mp3s or Wavs on it because its bitching that iTunes is out of date, but I can't update that because the OS isn't currrent. I can't update the browser because of the OS so certain websites are impossible to use. Round and round we go...

Its not on, really.

The battery reports temperature, charge count and other stuff to the U2 chip which controls charging and such ..... Lipo batteries have to be strictly monitored as any partial fault can lead to the avalanche effect and a huge internal current flows and the battery catches fire 

I was in the same position as you regarding Mountain Lion so ended up buying a download of it on Ebay for £1.99

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    mellowsun said:
    They do.
    Integrity of the device + being waterproof + ability to downsize I guess. I used to like being able to buy new and replace the batteries in my older smartphones. Samsung don't do that with newer devices either.
    Which is why the replacement for my current Samsung won't be another Samsung.  Last time I looked LG were still making phones with removable batteries.  If they stop I'll just get a no name Chinese one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    boogieman said:

I didn't find it that difficult, although I had instructions from @Danny1969 :).

How often does it need doing - every two or three years? Most people don't even keep their phones that long, they've either broken or upgraded them to the latest must-have model by then. I changed the one in my iPhone 4S once at about three years old, and before it needed doing again a couple of other things went wrong with it so I replaced the phone.

The slot-in batteries take up a lot more space - ie reduce capacity, if the phone is going to be the same size overall. Fine for an old non-smart phone where the current draw is low, but not now.

Danny1969 said:
    impmann said:

I was in the same position as you regarding Mountain Lion so ended up buying a download of it on Ebay for £1.99
    @impmann - I think I still have a download of it, I'll have a look and PM you. However, the version of Safari it contains is also outdated and won't work properly with a lot of websites now. Google Chrome is an option but doesn't support Mountain Lion any more either.

It's not just Apple's fault...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Thanks @icbm
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.