Enlarge tuner holes

Apologies if this has been asked and answered a thousand times before but what's the best way to enlarge an 8mm vintage hole to a modern 10mm hole for tuners on a finished neck? I've seen things from hand held drill bits to drill bits used backwards to reamers for tuning pegs from both sides and even hand filing. It's a varnished tele neck that I got as part of a kit bought at the 2016 Birmingham guitar show that I'm finally getting round to looking at. What I don't want to do is crack and splinter the finish as it looks quite thick.

There's a far wider choice of tuners for 10mm holes than there is vintage.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    All the research I did showed a manual reamer as being the preferred method
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Please dont use a drill bit, I did and the bit snagged in the hole and split the headstock for almost the full length, I managed to glue it and paint the headstock...lesson learned!
    A tapered reamer would now be my choice of weapon.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Tapered reamer *from the back only*, followed by a drill bit to open out the hole to parallel *only far enough to accept the tuner*. You do not need to open out the hole to 10mm right through the headstock as seems to be usually done. The existing 8mm hole at the front is big enough for the threaded bushing.

I don't use the drill bit in a power drill, I hold it in a hand clamp and turn it manually, which gives much more control and will let you feel if it's snagging.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    This is the tool you need, might cost about £30 all up with P&P and VAT but it will do the job perfectly, that's a small price to pay to make sure you don't ruin your neck.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Rear_Peghole_Reamer.html

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
    This is the tool you need, might cost about £30 all up with P&P and VAT but it will do the job perfectly, that's a small price to pay to make sure you don't ruin your neck.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Rear_Peghole_Reamer.html
    That's perfect - does everything with one tool. I will be getting one in the new year...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    Oh, now why didn't I find that when I asked the same question, and done a good few searches for suitable tools?

I've already bought a cheap taper reamer, however I'm a sucker for proper tools.
    @ICBM, if I order one to get my neck bored out, do you want me to order one for you as well? Or would you want to buy a used once (or is that 6 times...) one?
    m_c said:
    Oh, now why didn't I find that when I asked the same question, and done a good few searches for suitable tools?

I've already bought a cheap taper reamer, however I'm a sucker for proper tools.
    @ICBM, if I order one to get my neck bored out, do you want me to order one for you as well? Or would you want to buy a used once (or is that 6 times...) one?
    If you have no further use for it I'd be happy to buy it off you.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    ICBM said:
    m_c said:

If you have no further use for it I'd be happy to buy it off you.

'tis ordered. I'll give you a shout once it's here, and I've done what I need to.
  • Thanks for all the info. This is my first 'put together' and I'm not sure the other half would be too pleased if I did my usual thing of spending loads an ancillary tools.

Having looked at the body there are no holes for the bridge and it's not got any finish on it. It's looking like I'll have to wait for warmer weather as I've nowhere heated to be able to spray. Giving me enough time to buy all the fittings for it. And there was me thinking telecasters were a simple build.

I do get envious of those with dedicated workshop space, or even just space in general!