Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peter Green - Can anyone school me?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    PG lives round the Canvey Island/ Southend area nowadays. My cousin lives that way and sees him semi-regularly on the streets. Apparently he claims he’s a “keyboard player” these days, although I remember seeing fairly recent video clips of his not inconsiderable guitar collection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    And let's not forget that he had hits - actual songs in the charts.  At the time, apart from Canned Heat, who else did?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Iamnobody said:

I agree that Kirwan’s playing was up there - I think they brought the best out of each other.

Oddly the two never got on, although it was at Peter's insistence that Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac in the first place. Peter's story and situation is fairly well documented, but if anything, Danny Kirwan's story is as tragic, if not more so.
    This^

Also not to knock Greenie (who is pretty much the only blues player I don’t get bored listening to), plenty of those lead breaks with stunning vibrato -they were definitely Kirwan’s, his playing was lethally precise. Two of the absolute  greats those two.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited December 2017
    Look for an album called “The pious bird of good omen “it’s a early one.Get it and your all done as it’s class.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Iamnobody said:

I agree that Kirwan’s playing was up there - I think they brought the best out of each other.

Oddly the two never got on, although it was at Peter's insistence that Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac in the first place. Peter's story and situation is fairly well documented, but if anything, Danny Kirwan's story is as tragic, if not more so.
    This^

Also not to knock Greenie (who is pretty much the only blues player I don’t get bored listening to), plenty of those lead breaks with stunning vibrato -they were definitely Kirwan’s, his playing was lethally precise. Two of the absolute  greats those two.
    I take it Station Man on Kiln House is Kirwin (Green had left by this stage)? The playing on that song mesmerised me as a youngster and I’d assumed it was Green for many years.
  • dindude said:
    Iamnobody said:

This^

I take it Station Man on Kiln House is Kirwin (Green had left by this stage)? The playing on that song mesmerised me as a youngster and I’d assumed it was Green for many years.
    Indeed it is. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Iamnobody said:

This^

Like on  Oh Well it’s Kirwan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yq-Fw7C26Y

Previously known as stevebrum
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    dindude said:
    Iamnobody said:

This^

Indeed it is. 
    Dragonfly was included on a best of PG’s Fleetwood Mac cd I had years ago. It took me a while to realise it wasn’t PG and even longer to realise the lyrics where taken from a poem...

I haven’t really listened to much post PG FM so I’m  going to listen to Station Man now...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Found this track Slabo Day on an old Spotify playlist...totally forgot putting it on there.  I've been playing it to death lately.

• https://youtu.be/wJPPkpGlUM8

I posted this this elsewhere on the forum, but there’s some interesting points about Danny Kirwan. And some nice playing and guitars. 
  • duotone said:
    Found this track Slabo Day on an old Spotify playlist...totally forgot putting it on there.  I've been playing it to death lately.

The lead part on that is played by Snowy White - still a great track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    This. Just superb.

duotone said:
    Cheers for letting me know.  Yeah it’s a great track, I remember now that I saved it after another Forum I was reading, someone had this in their "speaker test" playlist.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    duotone said:

another great player with a great touch - other tracks to listen to but Bird of Paradise is best option to dial into first for Snowy White
    Just a heads up that Guitar Techniques magazines April issue (On sale 14th February) has a Peter Green feature "We examine the diverse musical approaches of this master of touch, taste & tone, from The Bluesbreakers to Fleetwood Mac. Phil Capone is your guide"
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    edited January 2018
    Another pg and dk fan, theres an otis spann album called "the biggest thing since colosus" and its otis and his drummer and the guitars from mac. Live sessions. Adsolutelyvessential for any fan. Bits of his playing and note choices, touch feel etc.. give me chills everytime. 
    Just a heads up that the Peter Green feature in Guitar Techniques magazine is out now!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    scrumhalf said:
    Listen and enjoy:

God I wished I grown up in the 60s (and France) rather than the 70s and 80
    love the women, the fashions, the music
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2018
    I once saw Peter Green in his brain-fried, 4" long nails days! He lived in a little (then run down non gentrified) terrace cottage adjacent to Richmond upon Thames church yard on the edges of the town. I was walking through one Saturday morning and spotted this figure sitting watching TV - I thought - that's PG! - so I went up to the window for a closer gawp and he turned  his head of rats tailed hair and beard and very vaguely looked with deep soulless staring eyes. I just nodded and and intimated I needed nothing from him and walked on... was like this   \/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>