Amp Maker tweed kit

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
About 9 years ago I bought a PP18 amp ready made off eBay. It cranked it using a Marshall PB100 and it had the most amazing tone. 

I always regret selling it if I’m honest.

Fast forward to now and I have a Marshall JMP but I’d like a small test fender style amp. 

Now, I know ill get shot for this (I’m not technically minded on amps at all) but is there any harm in sitting down with this to build it?

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/WF-55-4w-tweed-style-amp.html

£130? Why ever not? I’m assuming the instructions are Scott-proof so is this a wise undertaking (pardon the pun) or is it a really bad idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    edited December 2017
    Its a good safe introduction, with good support if you struggle.

I just found this pic on the site with  the hohner mini V conversion I did for Barry

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I’d love to try an mapmaker kit but I’ve been waiting on the p1800 coming back into stock for months.  I’m not confident enough with an amp to just build from a schematic which is why I haven’t ordered one from modulus or the other amp kit companies.  I want the noob instructions for my first one.  
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Vibeotronic the UK importers of BYOC stock their version of a tweed amp kit. I’ve built several and they are so much fun to build, but more than that, they sound fantastic. 

http://www.vibe-o-tronic.co.uk/products.php?brand=1&type=13
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I've built that kit - it's very easy - and you get a champ copy at the end. Go for it you will enjoy it!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    Does anyone do an affordable/available  kit of the slightly less common tweeds like the harvard (5f11 I think)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Thanks chaps. @WezV  that’s the same cab I have too... that little amp would sound brilliant through it :) 

@ThorpyFX that sounds good but the price is a stumbling block for me just now although at £300 or so it’s still cheap. I don’t want to get into electronics as such but I’d love to say that I built an amp. 

I suppose the question is.... will a die building it? :)
  • You'll be fine, be sensible when working with the mains current :)

It's not complex:

And is very good fun - nothing quite like playing an amp you built yourself!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Ive built a WF55 too, dead easy, first time builder, worked first time, instructions were foolproof, worked first time......sounds great cranked!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    Sounds brilliant. So... just need to make a cab and possibly hook it up to either a 12” speaker for a combo or run it through my 4x12?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Check out https://modulusamplification.com/ can while heartedly recommend them. And @Modulus_Amps is a member here to boot!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @poopot

I offer a champ clone kit, in a proper champ chassis with valve rectifier, but If you were up for it I would say build a tweed Princeton Clone as it has a tone control that is great when using multiple guitars......
    and then if you can stretch the budget a bit do for the tweed deluxe, really simple to build and you can gig with it

Soldering is easy, get lead based solder don't use maplin junk. I would say you a multimeter mostly to check that you have connections in the right place if things go wrong

Ampmakers instructions are great and is an obvious attraction for beginner builders.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

Soldering is easy, get lead based solder don't use maplin junk. I would say you a multimeter mostly to check that you have connections in the right place if things go wrong
    The cheap maplin solder is junk but I like the silver solder they stock.  I’ve never had any problems with the silver solder.  
    tFB Trader
    @Modulus_Amps  thanks for the input mate. I really appreciate it. I’ll be honest, the Amp Maker price drew me to the idea and I know zero about building an amp. I’d like to have a bash though.

If I order a kit from your good self it’ll just take longer before you hear from me as I’m pouring all my cash into the business just now. I’ll need an amp to let customers play the guitars through and all I have is the JMP. Although, the last guy who visited me thought it was a mega test rig lol

I shall dig around your site and make plans :)
  • Adam_MD said:
    I’d love to try an mapmaker kit but I’ve been waiting on the p1800 coming back into stock for months.  
    They’ve been back in stock for a couple of weeks at least. 
  • I've also got this kit. I didn't build it myself, but did add a simple mod (switchable voicing). It's a good first amp to build.

R. 
  • @bbill335 I built a 5F11 clone I think its more like a tweed princeton with Bias trem. Trem was Lush. The Harvard is the cropper Amp I believe. I have the Schematics and Layouts for the Harvard if you want them. I don't think its vastly different from a Tweed princeton.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    @lonestar the quality of the Modulus kits are above and beyond... here’s a little demo I did of a modded bassman kit from @Modulus_Amps

https://www.facebook.com/ghettoamplifiers/videos/297939017322767/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    @lonestar yes no problem. I am not here to push my product, just give ideas.

If you build a champ type circuit, from anywhere, it is easy to add a tone control later on. Probably easier in the amp maker  chassis actually. 

Go for it and let us know how you get on .

@Adam_MD I use sn100c Glow core stuff now which is really good. I have some maplin stuff in a drawer that is for desperate times only, not sure what it is exactly as it is at the factory 

• paulnb57 said:
    Ive built a WF55 too, dead easy, first time builder, worked first time, instructions were foolproof, worked first time......sounds great cranked!
    I've played this one and can confirm it does sound great, loadsa fun!
    tFB Trader
    @lonestar yes no problem. I am not here to push my product, just give ideas.

If you build a champ type circuit, from anywhere, it is easy to add a tone control later on. Probably easier in the amp maker  chassis actually. 

Go for it and let us know how you get on .

@Adam_MD I use sn100c Glow core stuff now which is really good. I have some maplin stuff in a drawer that is for desperate times only, not sure what it is exactly as it is at the factory 

No no mate you’re grand. I’d like to go the extra little bit and buy your one but I can tell already that i need to hit the ground running with investment at the start of the year and every penny counts. I’m very naive on amps and their parts so forgive my ignorance.