A Hard Day's Knight - Sir Ringo

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2612
in Off Topic tFB Trader

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/24/hard-days-knight-arise-sir-ringo-beatle-due-knighted-new-year/

Ringo Starr, the Beatles drummer, will be knighted in the New Year's Honours, it has been claimed.

Starr will join his bandmate Sir Paul McCartney as a knight, 52 years after receiving an MBE.

Sir Paul was knighted in 1997 but, according to the Sun on Sunday, Starr, 77, had given up hope of a further honour until a letter arrived from the Palace several weeks ago.

The knighthood will be awarded for services to music and charity and announced next week along with a full list of official recipients.

A close family friend told the newspaper: "It came as a bolt from the blue. Ringo was totally knocked sideways but is chuffed to bits."

"He'll feel ten feet tall when he goes back. Sadly, two of the Beatles, John Lennon and George Harrison, are no longer here to be honoured in a similar way.

"But giving Ringo a knighthood will go some way towards recognising the enormous contribution The Beatles made to popular music. He is a beacon of Beatlemania."

In 1965, all four members of the Beatles were awarded an MBE at Buckingham Palace.

Sir Paul has previously suggested his friend had been robbed of a deserved knighthood, telling NME in 2011 it was "about time".

Asked whether he could put in a word with the Queen, he joked: “The last time I went by she was out. Otherwise I would have popped in and said ‘Look, love, Sir Richard Starkey' [Starr's real name]. 

"Because I do think it’s about time, but she probably was a bit busy with Sir Brucie.” 

Starr's charity work includes donations to causes supporting AIDS awareness, abused children, human rights, poverty around the world and the creative arts. 

He made headlines this year by suggesting he voted Leave in the Brexit referendum, saying afterwards: "The people voted and they have to get on with it."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited December 2017
    Peace and Love...

https://youtu.be/hV8JFj17AtY

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shall we send him a few things for signing anyway?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Shall we send him a few things for signing anyway?
    While he’s in a good mood, like..?
     =) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I could care less...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    I can't imagine John Lennon ever accepting one. He never wanted the MBE either - he would have turned it down, but Brian Epstein asked him not to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Just Pete Best left to knight then.........
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11331
    Rabs said:

Sir Paul was knighted in 1997 but, according to the Sun on Sunday, Starr, 77, had given up hope of a further honour until a letter arrived from the Palace several weeks ago.

Well, it don't come it easy, you know it don't come easy.
  • usedtobe said:
    Shall we send him a few things for signing anyway?
    While he’s in a good mood, like..?
     =) 
    Yeah lets do it, I will send him some of my old holey socks that are being replaced by new Christmas ones, I reckon he'll be made up. i might also send him some bubble and squeak as well, it should be fine after a few days in the UPS hub.

• its really just for thomas the tank engine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Arise Sir Bongo
    tae be or not tae be
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ICBM said:
    I can't imagine John Lennon ever accepting one. He never wanted the MBE either - he would have turned it down, but Brian Epstein asked him not to.
    Was that pun intended?