The importance of time to read a book

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited December 2017 in Off Topic
I was very pleased that one of the pressies I opened this morning was the hard back version of a book ive been ahem subtly mentioning that i quite fancy. By nature i am a very laid back dude and quite the opposite of my running about like her hair is on fire wife. Ive always been jealous of the worker who can walk to work, talk to the worker beside him and come home physically tired as opposed to brain dead. like so many I work in the 2017 rat race where you just dont have a minute and the end of the day is like getting out of a prison. I have leave entitlement over the xmas hols and im taking every one of those days. Ive got a 2kg bag of my favourite coffee beans in the kitchen, am contemplating buying a catalinbread talisman reverb pedal, slipping into my oh so comfy guinness slippers and looking forward to the first page of my new book. The wife and my teen girls will most likely be bickering like there is no tomorrow but tell ya what......they are welcome to it.

any of you lot getting in some quality "me" time over the hols and what are you doing to achieve it ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My problem is I'm a slow reader. And I read a lot for work, so it leaves me wanting to do other things in spare time. But I agree. Good for the soul! Maybe should take the TV out of the bedroom and read before bed.
  • I've been slowly working on house of the dead over that last few months after years of non fiction reading and have been reminded of how wonderful it is to allow your mind to be teleported to the scenes, even when reading only a few pages at a time. Feels like I'm able to pause the scenery in my mind until I'm able to read the next page.
  • I read for about 20 mins most days in the canteen before work. People think I'm a bit odd doing it but it gives me 20 mins of escapism and I get to ignore all the boring talk about men kicking a ball around a field or the bird with the big tits they saw yesterday who they'd "give one".  
     I don't read much at home at the mo as work has been really hectic for peak. I might get an hour or so in over the next few days  
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    My problem is I'm a slow reader. And I read a lot for work, so it leaves me wanting to do other things in spare time. But I agree. Good for the soul! Maybe should take the TV out of the bedroom and read before bed.
    I briefly mentioned my issues to you, I've got one of the first kindle fire hd tablets, it fits in my pocket I literally take it everywhere, audio book and headphones in a dark room.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I spend nearly three hours a day commuting so try to read for a least an hour of those. It would be nice to read more, but I too knackered most of the time. I do read in the evening occasionally too, the odd half-hour here and there. 

Really though, even ten minutes a day can soon add up. The most important thing is to make it a habit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15611
    I used to have a 2 hour commute when I liked to catch up on my reading, but the police told me to stop, summat about due care and attention. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    Reading in bed is a favourite pastime but recently I keep falling asleep, most annoying.
  • One of my presents is a Folio Society edition of Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. No prizes for guessing how I'm spending Boxing Day ;)

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    One of my greatest pleasures. I read for 30 - 40 minutes each day whilst commuting. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    My wife picked up a John Le Carre from a charity shop a month back and tomorrow I'm going to be mostly reading that, with the fire lit and my barrel of chocolate stout just nicely conditioned and ready for drinking.

Boxing day is the day for doing nowt.(though in previous years I have been known to don rubber and get a couple of hours on our club lake, windsurfing,... with a flask of mulled wine for restorative value afterwards, but I'm getting too old and nesh for all that)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24422
    I can't read.  Well... I can, but I find myself getting bored easily and either end up re-reading the same line without realising or getting to the bottom of a page and realising that not one word has actually registered in my head.  Strangely, I never have this trouble when reading stuff on the Internet.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    Got book tokens for Chrimbo, £35 worth, will be on blackwells site tomorrow for some sweet used book deals 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Always read for half an hour or so before retiring.

As well as the pleasure it gives it's a good wind down before sleep. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15611
    I do actually need to head out this week and stock up on more stuff to read. It's ironic that we're 2nd hand book dealers, but sell stuff that I don't like to read (I'm mostly a fiction reader) but we're lucky having a few pretty good 2nd hand bookshops nearby.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Would normally have my head deep in a book by now, Christmas is one of the rare times of year where I feel I can switch off and don’t have a list of jobs to get through. I’m an English teacher and the irony of that job is that like many I really don’t read enough. However, my daughter is seven weeks old and my reading time is being spent cuddling and chatting away to her -it’ll soon be back to work so I’m savouring these moments this year.