Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How often do you change your strings?

What's Hot

Comments

• Apparently Dave Grohl will have a tech change strings between songs when he swaps guitars. Uses a .60 on the low E and a 48 on the A string as well!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited December 2017
    Main Strat - every 3-6 months. I clean them with a dry cloth after playing for a reasonable length of time. I use ordinary  D’Addario 9-42s on that guitar and bend a lot....

On my ‘slide’ Strat - set up with 10-46 - I changed strings this year for the first time in 16 years.

My 335’s strings (also 10s) were changed this year after 7 years.

I think the lessons here are that I’m not very sweaty, cleaning strings prolongs their lives and D’Addario make very good strings - oh and I don’t play much....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I change strings individually when they break. I hate the zing of new strings and I hate stretching strings.
  • On my strat i gig with every 3/4 gigs...all my others not that often..
  • Every 6 months.  I use Ernie Ball Cobalts.  
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    same as pick ups for me,
      if you're happy with the ones that the guitar comes with, why change them???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,
    Strings sound different after a few weeks to months though whereas pickups don't.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11912
    I read somewhere that Richie Sambora used to have a tech change his strings for each take in the studio but that sounds pretty exaggerated, maybe it was each day.

I quite like new strings on an electric (ie changed about 1-2 months) but on acoustics I just find it so abrasive, much prefer bedded in, and I always keep one acoustic (an old Martin MIA DX1R) with really dead strings because it's a really useful tone to have  from time to time. Though old streets do get manky - I'd love to know if anyone knows of a brand of strings (not flatwounds) that have the dead tone without the mank.

the older Elixirs - polyweb
    https://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-strings/electric-nickel-plated-steel-polyweb-coating have little brightness at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,
    Strings sound different after a few weeks to months though whereas pickups don't.
    fair enough, maybe it's something I should look into, can you recommend a string for funk?
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,
    fair enough, maybe it's something I should look into, can you recommend a string for funk?
    If you mean "funk" the music genre, change them every 6 days and 2 hours.

If you mean "funk" the substance, leave them on for at least a year.
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,

I usually change my plectrum when I feel my sound's getting a bit "muddy" to be honest

and I think the strings on my guitar have a got a good few years in them yet 
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,

I usually change my plectrum when I feel my sound's getting a bit "muddy" to be honest

Cool... 
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:
    same as pick ups for me,

Cool... 
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    2/3 times a month on main strat, .11-56s.

corrosive sweat...a quick polish of the frets helps the bends a fair bit I find.
  • When they sound a bit dead.  Length of time varies depending on the guitar / how often they are played / what they are going to be used for etc.  I have a couple that I play a lot and therefore will change after about 6-8 months,  a couple of others that are picked up very infrequently might have had strings on them for the last 5 years.   If its sounds ok, leave it alone. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    For gigging guitars, conventional strings every gig, Elixirs, every four gigs. 

I have very corrosive sweat, on my 'at home' guitars conventional strings can last a few weeks and I have a Tele with some two year old Elixirs on it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited December 2017
    Usually when they start feeling horrible but the last set was on for almost a year I think. When i was gigging regularly it was probably once a month for fear of strings breaking mid song. My acoustic is in dire need of new strings, the current ones must be well over 2 years old and feel well manky. I hardly play it though. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Roughly once every two to four weeks depending on gig and rehearsal frequency. I seem to have pretty corrosive sweat and it’s not uncommon for the plain strings to start turning after a hard three hour rehearsal. 

I always wipe down the plain strings with a cloth and use fastfret. I run my fingers under the strings and if they are excessively bumpy then it’s time for a change - I actually really like changing strings. It’s a nice meditative process and I always sit on the floor to do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    edited December 2017
    acoustic guitar  i change approx every 6 mnths.  electrics, gig every 1-2 weeks rehearse the same and play everyday i cheange about 12-18months.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15507
    once every second coming. Or so.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.