Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Santa brought me a tiny thing

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Have you been unusually bad this year?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

18reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited December 2017
    Didn't realise Orange made paperweights as well as amps!  3  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, you're just jealous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited December 2017
    gearaddict said:9
    Oh, you're just jealous.
    Mmmm noooo, fraid not. But its still a nice paperweight! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Just add water... :)

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just add water... :)
    ‘Lol’ duly awarded!
  • I was keen on  of these as an easy take-to-practice rig along with my ppc112, rather than lugging the TH30 and 1936v. Can't wait to try it out. :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited December 2017
    I was keen on  of these as an easy take-to-practice rig along with my ppc112, rather than lugging the TH30 and 1936v. Can't wait to try it out.
    To avoid disappointment, DON'T try it out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    https://i.imgur.com/8GXmSgx.jpg

I thought everyone loved these smaller orange amps?

HNAD @gearaddict hopefully it’ll do the job you got it for. If not, that’s one helluva nice paperweight you have there :) 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    I still want to try one of these - it does seem possible to get good tones out of them, have a look on youtube at the demo by House Of David studios through a badcat 4x12.
  • lonestar said:

HNAD @gearaddict hopefully it’ll do the job you got it for. If not, that’s one helluva nice paperweight you have there :) 
    Yeah, consider my chips thoroughly pissed on. Oh well.

Merry Christmas!

;)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Merry Christmas!

;)
    Hey, as long as you’re happy bud. I’m yet to hear these amps first hand but I had heard good things about them until this thread :) 

Merry Christmas :)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    I've seen mixed reviews about them.

They're not a bad amp as such, it's just they either produce a tone you like, or one you hate.
  • I think the main issue with the Orange Micro amps is the annoying fizzy overtone you get with every note and that you can't dial out.

Some people have no issue with it though. 

Apart from that it's a perfectly decent amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really liked the standard micro terror I had, so I imagine this is just a heavier overdrive sound than that right? I only sold the one I had because I also had a Vox Lil Night Train which fit better with the pedals I was using at the time. Happy new amp day, enjoy!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    gearaddict said:

Merry Christmas!

;)
    I would have been clearer earlier, but I always think that Christmas presents are better if they're a surprise :D.

But don’t be put off - it can’t possibly sound as bad as the standard Micro Terror.

:)

It just can’t, surely...

I'll be honest, I have not played the Micro Dark - but I've played several of the standard ones, and for me it's the worst-sounding amp I've ever experienced.

I think the main issue with the Orange Micro amps is the annoying fizzy overtone you get with every note and that you can't dial out.
    For me it was the incredibly grating, fatiguing character to the sound that literally made my ears itch and made me 'hear' it even after I'd stopped playing. Truly nasty, in a way that goes beyond just 'harsh' or 'fizzy'.

I hope you like it - and more importantly, that it doesn't have the same effect on your bandmates as it would if I was in your band ;).

If there is one positive thing I can say about it, I found that it sounded marginally less horrific at 16 ohms - but that gives much less output volume... and may make it too quiet to use with a band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Well, had a brief try of the amp today and first impressions are that it sounds really good and is very loud for it's tiny size. I could easily gig with this thing. Having the fx loop and the emulated out are great additions which you don't get on the non-dark version. Nice.

It has made me think about maybe trading in the TH30 for the slightly bigger brother of the tiny dark...the dark terror. I never really use the clean on the TH30 anyway...

Anyway, really pleased with this...basically fits in my pedalboard and is a fully functional amp! Awesomes.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Glad you like it. I've played through both the micro and the micro dark, and i know what ICBM means about the standard one but i found the Dark to be much better. We ran one through a 4x12 cab and the amount of noise it put out was quite impressive!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Bit harsh this thread. If the OP is pleased with his amp it seems a little bit out of order for everyone to react as they have. 

Glad you like the amp @gearaddict ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair, they got the boot in well before it was clear whether I liked the amp or not :)