Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD!! Totally shocked

What's Hot
I have no idea what I have done to deserve it but my Hubbie has bought me a 12 string for Xmas! 
I was completely shocked when I opened it.  It is a French made Lag and it is beautiful.
It will be my first venture into playing a 12 string so I am expecting a lot of sore fingers and a large portion of frustration while I forge a relationship with a whole new playing technique. It's great to have a whole new challenge!
i am an incredibly lucky girl! 

I have not really played lately, having fallen heavily into the clutches of depression, but this is really going to encourage me to play again. 

I am so so lucky I really am. 
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Congratulations!!

I've had x5 French Lags to date and they've all been wonderful. 80s Guitar Companies really nail playability and Michel Lag and Francois Artige came up with some great neck carves.

I'd be digging out all those 60s tunes to get my technique down (I always think of 'Bread' when someone says 12 string).

Enjoy =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pics please.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    That's great!

A new guitar always encourages us to play more and I'm glad yours will get you back into the groove.  :)
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Congrats!!
  • Hngd. 12 strings are wicked and definitely worth the sore fingers for a few days. Give it a week and there will be no looking back. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited December 2017
    Many players tune down a half or whole step and capo up if need be, worth trying a half step down to start if the string tension is too much. Have fun!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Happy NGD @Blackjack ;

Enjoy changing the strings :)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Fantastic :D.

As Winny_Pooh said, tune it down (I would go straight to D) if it seems hard to play - it will also sound better. You can always capo it at the 2nd to play in standard tuning, you don’t usually play high enough up on a 12-string that you then run out of neck :).

Leadbelly tuned down to C and Leo Kottke to C#, so it’s not cheating ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Such a happy and hopeful post that put a genuine smile on my face. Lovely to see you achieving a new trajectory, well done to you both.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Congrats on the 12 stringer.....was it sat wrapped under the tree ? Takes some disguising  does a geetar LOL

That is what Xmas is all about, lovely surprises

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Congrats, 12 strings are a joy
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Excellent! Now where do I find myself one! 

Lol. Seriously though, always welcome to chat, I, and I’m sure lots of us have troubles with depression too. 

Stay well and enjoy!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    @Blackjack what a fantastic gift, I'd love to see a pic of it. 

Agree with the others about tuning down to D and putting a capo on the 2nd fret.  However, I tried it with light gauge strings on a Seagull 12-string, and it sounded very crashy and un-musical, so I ended up just tuning back to E.

@Funkfingers - I hadn't read that Cianci piece - very interesting!

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    What a nice chap your husband is!  I’ve wanted a 12 string for years now. Enjoy!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Everyone needs a 12 string.
    Wish I'd found another one under the tree.
  • Happy new guitar day! 12 strings open up many new doors. Among many others, check out Ralph Towner's work and even Allan Holdsworth with Soft Machine. Enjoy exploring.......... 
  • bazxkr said:

Congrats on the 12 stringer.....was it sat wrapped under the tree ? Takes some disguising  does a geetar LOL

That is what Xmas is all about, lovely surprises

Yes! It was in a case and then my Hubbie had disguised it in a huge cardboard box that he had made by taping several boxes together! 
    I had no idea whatsoever what it was.  To be honest he is a bit of a practical joker so I half expected it to be a little present in a huge box. It never crossed my mind that it was a guitar!!! 
  • Thank you so much, that's really kind of you. 
    skunkwerx said:
    Excellent! Now where do I find myself one! 

Lol. Seriously though, always welcome to chat, I, and I’m sure lots of us have troubles with depression too. 

Stay well and enjoy!

• BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    edited December 2017
    https://i.imgur.com/PQr29uf.jpg

My new toy!!
    with my lovely Taylor in the background.. 

Have tuned it and played it a bit today.  I love it, such great fun and a whole new realm of fun to be had and skills to learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom