When modding goes wrong...

What's Hot
...and then you want to sell. 

You'd never know the Bigsby was added afterwards!

Don't you normally leave the bridge on? 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2015-gibson-midtown-standard/1280660524
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    My knowledge of bigsbys is poor but I believe the stop tailpiece is removed and the bigsby takes its place. The bridge is still present on the guitar but the issue is you’re left with the tailpiece post holes which can be ugly if not filled in. On that guitar it could be difficult to plug them without making a bigger mess
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    That's what I thought too. I'd never leave the holes exposed it just looks terrible.

I've seen some Midtowns with factory Bigsbys and the tailpiece still on. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited December 2017
    Or just do what Gibson's did and stick a sh*ty of plastic over the hole with Custom Made engraved on it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Tbh, I’d love an ES with a Bigsby. Those midtown’s always caught my eye. 
    What about the mention of the cracked headstock, doesn't put you off? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    He's used a B7, should have used a B3. My bigsby knowledge isn't great - feel free to correct me if wrong
  • axisus said:
    He's used a B7, should have used a B3. My bigsby knowledge isn't great - feel free to correct me if wrong
    I’m sure the bigsby equipped midtown’s also used a b7. However, a b3 with a Towner tension bar would take away the unsightly holes. 

I’d be more concerned by that repair than the bigsby.
    Does the Bigsby create any new holes?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I thought a vibromate was supposed to use the stop tail holes so you don't drill any more holes in it and can go back to stock if you don't like it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

Vibramates do go into the tail holes but sometimes the Bigsby sits a ways back on the body - the 'custom made' bar is a Vibramate part too that pops up for that situation as in this kit  - http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-335-install.php ;

The stud holes show when someone doesn't use a Vibramate and mounts direct, like that one, or fits a tail-mount non-tension bar Bigsby like a B6 on a 335. I've done that but put bolts in the empty bushings with caps. Not ideal but there you go. Another option is to use a Towner Down bar, they sit in the tail bushings and add some break angle back over the bridge - you lose a lot with a B6 on a 335 for instance.

Another option is a Les Trem, not everyone likes the looks but the arm could be changed, they work great, piss easy to nail on too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    axisus said:
    You're wrong, sorry :).

The B7 is the correct Bigsby for a 335-type. B3s are used on archtops which don't have a solid block to screw the front of the Bigsby to and generally have higher bridges so don't need the increased break angle provided by the tension bar.

The only issue is the tailpiece stud holes, and as normula1 said the accepted "fix" for this is a 'Custom Made' plaque pinned over them as Gibson did. The Vibramate kit uses a variation of this - while also usefully connecting the Bigsby to ground via the metal strip to the tailpiece studs -

http://www.vibramate.com/images/Vibramate-V7-335-Kit-800-02.jpg

If you don't use one, you need to drill through into the body under the Bigsby bracket and add a ground wire that way (or via the bridge post to the pickup cavity), which I would like to know has been done since it's a faff if it hasn't.

But otherwise, this mod has been done correctly.

As already said I'd prefer to see pics of the headstock repair - it may be fine, or it may not be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    You're wrong, sorry :).

No need to apologise! Wrong is wrong!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom