Bogner v Friedman

What's Hot
spirit7spirit7 Frets: 339

Hi all,

I currently have a Bogner 20th XTC 6L6 (purchased many moons ago from Mr Rockmonster of this parish!), and I love it.  It's the best amp I've ever played and suits me down to the ground.

But I can't help but be tempted by the stuff Friedman is putting out.  I'm particularly interested in the latest BE-100s, and how they compare to the 20th XTC.  I also have a Gower JCM 800 Killer Kali ++ mod, so wonder if that would cover the Friedman territory anyway...

Opinions welcomed!

C.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the Friedman GAS is strong, simplest way to find out is to order a BE online and A/B it with your Bogner and Gower. if it's ace keep it, of it's not send it back within 7 days

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Have a 20th Shiva. Have a Friedman Pink Taco (that might be for sale soon). I’ve also played loads of the other Friedmans and I would say that while they are both comparable in many respects, you aren’t gonna get anything extra with the Friedman. In fact I personally prefer Bogner amps. Don’t forget one used to be the flavour of the month (Bogner) and Now Friedman are. Eventually something else will be. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11889
    They are both amazing amps, its no better, just what you prefer.
  • The most frustrating thing about all the Bogners I’ve ever owned (I’ve owned most of them including all the Shivas - is the poxy loop) Friedman loops are superb. Friedman amps for me provide the perfect replica a well recorded hot-rodded Marshall. They sound great at room volume. Unfortunately for me they tend to disappear in the mix too easily and are a bit tame. The butterslax isnt though! Oh and the XTC had too many bloody switches! Lol! Interestingly I’m having a Gower JCM800 built at the moment! How do you find that?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    The most frustrating thing about all the Bogners I’ve ever owned (I’ve owned most of them including all the Shivas - is the poxy loop) Friedman loops are superb. Friedman amps for me provide the perfect replica a well recorded hot-rodded Marshall. They sound great at room volume. Unfortunately for me they tend to disappear in the mix too easily and are a bit tame. The butterslax isnt though! Oh and the XTC had too many bloody switches! Lol! Interestingly I’m having a Gower JCM800 built at the moment! How do you find that?
    The newer Shiva's have the sorted loop Rod, not an ounce of tone suck or db loss - really missing mine :-(
  • welshboyo said:
    The newer Shiva's have the sorted loop Rod, not an ounce of tone suck or db loss - really missing mine :-(
    What you using now then Boyo?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    welshboyo said:
    What you using now then Boyo?
    I've gone back to Mesa (Stiletto Ace) - amazing amp - does the whole hot rod Marshall thing with ease but I'm just missing that thing that only a Bogner can sound like - that mid range sizzle 
  • Rod are you using a Butterslax now ? I'm really into the 50w 5150III, it's perfect for what I do and so good for the money.

• Rod are you using a Butterslax now ? I'm really into the 50w 5150III, it's perfect for what I do and so good for the money.
    No sold the BS Rik. I’m using an EVH100 and a DG modded EVH50
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Friedman amps for me provide the perfect replica a well recorded hot-rodded Marshall. They sound great at room volume. Unfortunately for me they tend to disappear in the mix too easily and are a bit tame.
    That's exactly my experience with them too.  They lack the bite and anger of classic Marshalls - they're a bit too smooth sounding and have much more gain than they really need making them over compressed and lacking in dynamics.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    Twinfan said:
    Friedman amps for me provide the perfect replica a well recorded hot-rodded Marshall. They sound great at room volume. Unfortunately for me they tend to disappear in the mix too easily and are a bit tame.
    That's exactly my experience with them too.  They lack the bite and anger of classic Marshalls - they're a bit too smooth sounding and have much more gain than they really need making them over compressed and lacking in dynamics.
    There's a knob to turn the gain down you know ;)

Joking aside though, the BE-100 was introduced to me with a barrage of high gain playing, so I was amazed to find it does actually sound great at lower gain too.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    A high gain amp turned down doesn't sound the same as a lower gain amp - all the gain stages remove the rawness. This is why Phil X asked for less gain in his signature model.

As with everything it's horses for courses. I find Friedmans only really suit shreddy lead playing soaked in gain but others will find different :)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Neither sound as gnarly as a boosted 800 IMO.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 339

Well I plugged into my Gower Killer Kali ++ for the first time in a while the other day.  Friedman GAS has been quelled!  When I want the more refined tone, I'll go to the Bogner.  For the raw power: Modded JCM 800 all day.

-C

• spirit7 said:

Well I plugged into my Gower Killer Kali ++ for the first time in a while the other day.  Friedman GAS has been quelled!  When I want the more refined tone, I'll go to the Bogner.  For the raw power: Modded JCM 800 all day.

-C

I hope my pending DG modded 800 will scratch my itch too!
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    spirit7 said:

-C

I hope my pending DG modded 800 will scratch my itch too!

Is that a medical condition you have boyo
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11889
    I bought a Lazy J after my Bogner and no GAS for amps :+1: 

• Twinfan said:
    A high gain amp turned down doesn't sound the same as a lower gain amp - all the gain stages remove the rawness. This is why Phil X asked for less gain in his signature model.

As with everything it's horses for courses. I find Friedmans only really suit shreddy lead playing soaked in gain but others will find different :)
    Im absolutely in love with the clean channel on my SS100 =) Horses for courses etc ....
    A blues driver and a delay and its luvvverlyy.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life