Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Car servicing

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28352
    Foster said:
    Sporky said:
    Foster said: 
    If you can't tell that a comment about "running your own bath" is tongue in cheek then you need to get out more. 
    So, how's that "insulting people" thing working out for you?

Oh, yes - it's making people think you're a dick, so they don't participate in your threads how you want them to.
    Well Sporky, a new low for you. I sent you a PM where I acknowledge the points you made, apologise for not responding earlier and say that i'll have a re-read of the thread with what you've said in mind.

In return you decide to ignore it and just outright insult me. Nice.
    I didn't get a notification so didn't see the PM until this morning at which point I replied. Nothing was ignored.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    handbags a bit?

When I had a shitheap of a car (Viva, Marina, Lada), and had little money spare, I did what I could on my car. That was made a lot easier by the facts that I had the time, deffo didn't have the money, and significantly that the car was a simple straight four block, where everything that mattered was easy to access and see, and I only needed a handful of tools. Most bolts and sockets were the same size and I got nigh on all my parts from scrapyards.

I didn;'t give a shit about the car, and most journeys were under 20 miles. The prospect of driving up the M6 with a broken windscreen motor didn't worry me as I had a spare wiper from a scrapped transit van that I could use by hand out the window if it rained. That sort of thing.

As my cars got more expensive, my time more precious, and the money in my pocket a bit bigger and available, I found better things to do with my spare time than car maintenance.

As a car becomes more expensive you are less likely to want to run the risk of arsing it up by having a do yourself.

these days, I just can't be arsed. Same as why I usually get a decorator to do the work, rather than myself. Yep, I am a dab hand with a bucket of wallpaper paste, or a tub of gloss, but tbh I would rather pay another fella to do it, whilst I did something I enjoy more.

That's not being snotty, that's just life and getting older. I'm perfectly happy to pay someone else to do a job I can do, if it means I can do something else I'd prefer doing.

As a contrast, I love diggin holes and building things. Love it. When I have time, can';t be happier than standing in a hole mixing concrete, building a wall, fence, shed, whatever. thing is, I don't really have the time.

also, and very importantly, if something goes wrong, I can get someone else to deal with it.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I can't solder a new pickup without fucking it up. I certainly wouldn't put my kids in a car that I had "serviced" myself.