C18Q1. Learning to read music notation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    "I cheated by writing the note names above the staves but I still had to know what the notes are to do that  " I did this too as well, however I quickly got to the point where I don't need to now, so it's not cheating, it's part of the learning process. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Made good progress in recent weeks but still a fair way to go. The keyboard is a very visual way of seeing intervals and is a great help. 

Playing something on the piano is proving to be a challenge in itself. I am learning to read the dots using the piano but I find it makes more sense to learn the piano by ear. I can play a few chords and a few popular songs using chords and relevant notes but using both hands is tricky and hard to work them independently. Oddly it is my right hand that gives the most trouble. But having learned a little musical theory helps my bass playing which is a benefit. A big benefit. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited April 2018
    Time for a progress report.

I can now read the dots.  Slowly, very slowly but transferring the notes to an instrument is now quite so simple.  But at least I can read the dots.

Then without much resistance on my part, I ended up studying chords and how they are built up.  And how scales are compiled.  Major and Natural Minor, which led to the circle of fifths.  Diminished chords, sevenths and chords that tend to push you to a chord/note that resolves the musical tension.

Probably pretty basic stuff for a lot of you guys, but as I knew almost nothing about musical theory, it feels a lot.  So I have stopped the lessons for the Summer and given myself a good bit of time to digest all I covered and go through the notes and handouts the teacher gave me.

The Keyboard.

The keyboard is great to help me understand intervals and how chords are built up.  I learned a few chords and scales but mostly used the keys to help my studies on musical theory.  So now, I am setting a goal of learning to play something on the keyboard.  A piano teacher has agreed to give me some lessons on the keyboard, the lessons to start in a week or two.  He wants to teach me passable versions of simple tunes like Happy Birthday to You, country music accompaniment, chords and fills for a few popular songs.  And how to use my two hands on the keyboard.  As my present level of skill is slightly above zero, he has set a fairly high bar.

One great thing about learning a little musical theory is that my bass playing has benefited.  And this has renewed my interest in playing my six strings.  My ear seems to have sharpened, picking up chord changes seems easier than before.  Another thing is that the old saying "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks" is simply wrong.

Onwards and upwards as always.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum