Whats it worth?

What's Hot
Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
edited December 2017 in Amps
I have been offered this amp in trade against my Fender Bassbreaker 18/30 - Its a Marshall JCM 200 60w TSL 601

As I no longer gig the Fender is way too much for home use 

so what would you value this amp at please? I don't want my pants pulled down on the trade

https://i.imgur.com/WRzOQvH.jpg

Thanks in advance

Les 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can get them new for just over £400, so £250? 
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    You can get them new for just over £400, so £250? 
    Ok - so what would my 18-30 be worth please- I paid over £500 from Andertons last year?
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    To be honest i wouldn't do it. The TSL has some reliability issues, @ICBM can explain more about that though. 
    Funnily enough i've been offered swaps for a TSL twice before (from separate people for different amps) and both times they didn't work properly - i was told 'it was something simple, just needs  new valves...' Needless to say i didn't entertain it for a second. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    edited December 2017
    They do have issues, although actually the 60W one is not as bad as the 100 - it's not just a two-valve version of the same thing, it's a completely different design. Surprisingly the Marshall will also be better than the Fender for home use, despite being more powerful - it has a good taper on the volume controls, and they actually don't sound loud at all for a 60W amp.

Despite being fairly expensive new they haven't held their value at all well - the last couple on Ebay went for £212 and £267 with a flightcase (easily worth £50), so just over £200 seems to be the going rate. The Bassbreaker is currently £443 new so should be worth about £350 second hand. I would ask for his amp and at least £100 if you want to do the deal.

But as nick79 says, do make sure the Marshall is working properly first...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom