Tone Tubby speakers...any good?

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
Just got a new amp with one in the cab, amp sounds decent but don't really know anything about these bad boys. Anyone come across them or used them before?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    I have one In a Handbuilt Teak Cab. It’s a Tone Tubby Brown Sound 12” 
    I’ve only compared it to Vintage 30’s and a Celestian greenback but it’s so much clearer & articulate.. :)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I have both the Alnico and Ceramic 12's.  I love the sound of the ceramics with my Ceriatone Overtone Special.  They are crisp but have a nice breakup.  The Alnico (which is the red frame), is good but different to a Celestion Blue, in that it is softer and not quite as articulate.  Think Santana (they started with him) versus Brian May - I know it's a strange comparison, but the differences in tone, not playing style, is what I mean.

One other thing.  They are excellent to deal with.  After hurricane Sandy destroyed some gear (including, I thought, the ceramics), I called them about a recone and they said rather than that they would let me have a set for trade price, as they were worried about grit in the magnet gap.  It was a 50% saving, which I thought was a fantastic offer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Yeah - superb - I have a 12 inch Tone Tubby Hempcone ceramic (might be willing to let it go for the right price) - had it in a Carr Rambler but put the original back in when I sold it because I wanted to keep the Tone Tubby for future amps - havent used it since simply because the subsequent amps have all been so good I didn't feel the need to change anything. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    I should cocoa!

I've got a 2x12 Tone Tubby cab and it's loaded with what they call their 'H-Bomb Combo' which is a combination of their Red Alnico and 40/40 Ceramic hempcones. It sounds fabulous and it's a really good pairing.

I've tried various cabs/speakers before from Celestion, EV, Mesa Boogie, Warehouse, Matchless, Jensen etc and this cab and combination of speakers works best for me. Really crisp, sparkly cleans without being harsh, great on crunch and they can handle a fair amount of gain, too with great definition and warmth and they just make things sing.

Recommended and here are the UK dealers or you can deal direct as they sound as if they give great service
    http://www.hempcone.com/tonetubby.com/dealer.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom