Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar Amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• another +1 for a second hand Fender hot rod.

I really wouldn't get a Katana. They're awful (yes I said it)
    Personally I dont much like the Blackstar sound either.  (nondescript thing that it is)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Personally I dont much like the Blackstar sound either.  (nondescript thing that it is)
    you arent on your own, i tried katanas and they just sound like a solid state amp to me, if i was buying solid state a peavey bandit would do me just fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

you arent on your own, i tried katanas and they just sound like a solid state amp to me, if i was buying solid state a peavey bandit would do me just fine.

except peavey bandits are nearly twice the price and weight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I tried an Artist 15 and thought it was the deadest sounding amp I'd ever played through.  The guy in the shop said "That's because it's a pedal platform."  Imho pedals are there to enhance your tone, they're not magic beans.  I'd go down the Fender route - or maybe something like a Boogie F30.
  • FWIW, if you're mostly after a clean amp I reckon an HT-20 may not have enough headroom for unmiced gigs in a loudish band.  I had one for a few years and it was easily loud enough if driven (through a pair of V30s) but the clean channel was certainly "hairy" at gig volume, not properly clean.
  • Thanks for your comments. Seems like Blackstar may not be for me
  • If you like the Laney you already have and are looking for loud and clean, you might have a look at the VC-30. They're fairly cheap second hand, come in 1x12, 2x10 and 2x12 versions. I had the  1x12  as a clean platform and it was a really lovely clean cound and loud as you want for pub gigs.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Thanks for your comments. Seems like Blackstar may not be for me
    You may want to consider an S1 45 combo, best amp from the entire blackstar range I've played. And second hand is well within your budget.
  • KrisGee said:
    You may want to consider an S1 45 combo, best amp from the entire blackstar range I've played. And second hand is well within your budget.
    He said he can’t go beyond a 1x12 for space reasons.
  • Keep your eyes on the used market for amps in your budget
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    KrisGee said:
    He said he can’t go beyond a 1x12 for space reasons.

The 45 is a pretty compact 2x12, only 28" wide ( x 22x 12) and it would be nice if they made a1x12 (Creamback?) version but I doubt the electronics could be reduced enough?

The first models were loaded with Neos and were a reasonable lug. Due to escalating magnet costs they went over to V30 and the combo now weighs a ball straining 76lbs.  Mind you! Quite a few people said they did not like the sound of the Centuries..You can please.....!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    ecc83 said:

The first models were loaded with Neos and were a reasonable lug. Due to escalating magnet costs they went over to V30 and the combo now weighs a ball straining 76lbs.  Mind you! Quite a few people said they did not like the sound of the Centuries..You can please.....!
    The earliest Century (80W, 102dB) sounded hideous - incredibly shrill and brash, as well as extremely loud. The second version (Century Vintage, 60W, 99dB) wasn't as bad but still quite fatiguing after a while and still with no real bottom end. The third one (Neo Creamback, 65W, 97dB) is finally right, as far as I've heard - I haven't yet tried one personally.

It wouldn't surprise me, since with any new technology there is an 'optimisation curve' - at first they seemed to be going for maximum efficiency, but they've stepped back from that now and seemed to have learned that people want them to sound good, not loud.

There used to be an old Marshall ad with a picture of a grenade, and the caption "Just because it's loud doesn't mean you'll want to listen to it" - very true :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12389
    If you like the Laney you already have and are looking for loud and clean, you might have a look at the VC-30. They're fairly cheap second hand, come in 1x12, 2x10 and 2x12 versions. I had the  1x12  as a clean platform and it was a really lovely clean cound and loud as you want for pub gigs.
    I currently own a 1X12 VC30, lovely cleans, mine has a an Eminence Private Jack speaker in it and it is really nice, not sure what the stock speaker is these days. Got mine for around £180 on ebay, I think I was the only bidder. For £180 that's a no brainer,  although I hear great things about the Katana I've never played through one.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"