Odd request from a buyer

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited January 2018 in Amps
I recently advertised and sold an amp via Gumtree. A guy from east Europe bought it and had a driver pick up and pay cash which I thought ok that’s cool. He paid partly by Sterling and partly by euro. Again no problem, Iv got family who regularly travel to Europe who could buy them from me at face value. He asked for a receipt which I gave his driver. A couple of weeks later asked for another electronic receipt but dated 4th Jan. I asked if he received the original and was told no. The receipt was sent with the split amounts ie Pounds and Euros. I received another request today asking if I can send another receipt but this time dated 8th January but with the money stated as pounds only. Don’t know it there is anything shifty I’m getting myself into here or not???? Strange request to me. Yes fair enough if he wants the amount stated in pounds only but why specify different dates? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Tell him to get lost. He paid in pounds and Euros - the receipt should say what was received, end of story.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    You've got the money and he's got the amp - I think you've more than fulfilled your part of the deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Sounds like some form of tax dodge, where the buyer is filing the receipt at a time which works for them, and they're also taking advantage of exchange rate moves.

Personally, I'd say I've issued the receipt already thank you - but that's me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited January 2018
    Their business dealings did look a bit dodgy to me, his driver had just got back from Ireland and he stopped off on his way back over to main land Europe. All ill say is his cargo was, well how do I put it, "iffy" 
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Don't get involved with anything like this, particularly if your name and address are on a reciept. Eastern Europe is awash with fake invoicing, tax declarations, cost duplication .. on and on. If your buyer gets investigated by his local Feds, for whatever reason, you could be implicated. And falsifying commercial documents is a no-no

I fixed a business in Russia on behalf of US shareholders a few years ago ... you don't want to know what went on there ..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Ill ignore the request, thanks all
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    Could be worse, at least Kevin Spacey wasn't the buyer...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    With different dates and different currencies, it looks like they could be trying to manipulate you into issuing multiple invoices to facilitate tax relief multiple times. Avoid. 
  • Be careful I'd say. An invoice is a legal document and it's illegal to alter or change it. You open yourself to litigation if you don't cancel the original invoice. And if there's numerous invoices floating around with your name on them all for the same item and the invoice is used in tax avoidance and fraud well...

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I wouldn't have a problem if Kevin Spacey wanted to buy an amp off me. I would say his money is good regardless of what you might think of his other characteristics.

But should Harry Redknapp, his dog, Bernie Madoff, Fred Goodwin or Arthur Daley turn up at my door, I'll be patting my pockets and rechecking my wallet until sundown wondering if I've been had.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Harry and his dog??? Interesting gangster duo ..
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    fandango said:
    I wouldn't have a problem if Kevin Spacey wanted to buy an amp off me. I would say his money is good regardless of what you might think of his other characteristics.
    I was more referring to the strange requests he might have made of you!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    It sounds like it could be a money laundering scam - multiple invoices to make money outgoings look legit. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)