Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bridge Humbucker on a Strat?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    but if you slap 500k pots in then you will end up making the single coils harsh(er).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Before you swop out the pickup, google “Dan Armstrong strat wiring”...

its a blend circuit and easily reversible... psudo humbucker, could get you where you want without changing pups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23027
    siraxeman said:
    but if you slap 500k pots in then you will end up making the single coils harsh(er).
    I was thinking of a swanky Suhr wiring scheme where you add a resistor (or two?) to the circuit, so the humbucker "sees" a 500k pot but the single-coils "see" 250k.
  • https://www.riograndepickups.com/tallboy-2

Try one of these - their whole thing is Humbuckers that don't compromise on single coil tones when split. 

I've got one, but haven't used it yet - I got it as part of a plan for an HSS strat - in the end I stuck a PATB-1 in there.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I've got an Iron Gear Tesla Shark on a Partscaster - it's not bad.

I've also got an SD SH-2/SH-4 pair for another project, but I've not yet tried them.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philly_Q said:
    siraxeman said:
    I was thinking of a swanky Suhr wiring scheme where you add a resistor (or two?) to the circuit, so the humbucker "sees" a 500k pot but the single-coils "see" 250k.
    I wired up my Strat so the humbucker had a separate volume pot to the single coils, both so it could have a 500k pot and so its volume could be set independently.

It worked but I quickly decided I prefer SSS so can't say how it would work for a gig or if it would be good to play in the long term.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Iv got a lovely strat from 2013, it's the hss model with a fender bucker in the bridge - diamond back I believe. 

Recently stuck a Oilcity BrassKnuckle in the bridge which is a lovely humbucker. It's not a traditional bucker , more two singles together. Lots of bight but it really responds to messing with the height etc. Great tones.