Fender Squier...

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
A shop in the US is doing a giveaway of a Fender Jazzmaster, no wait... it's a Fender Squier Jazzmaster!

Is this allowed by Fender?

http://info.mooremusicguitars.com/january-fender-jazzmaster-giveaway
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11822
    Nowt wrong with Squiers - great guitars for the money, and full stop (arguably) in a lot of cases.

I doubt Fender will mind, still a Fender guitar just not made in the USA.  Don't tell the Donald though.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14541
    The advertisement photograph deliberately omits the guitar headstock. The text copy headline reads Fender. Only in the small print does the truth emerge.

Nowt wrong with Squiers - great guitars for the money, and full stop (arguably) in a lot of cases.
    +1 You will hear no objections to Squier VM instruments from me.

The fact of the matter is that the F word will attract more Interweb hits and tags than the S word. It's only business.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It’s hardly the small print the large block capital print beneath the picture says Enter to win this Fender Squier Jazzmaster.  You’d have to be an idiot to see that and think it’s a USA Fender and not a Squier. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    There are fender branded guitars lower in the range than squiers
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Whenever I see "Fender", with "Squier" in the small-print, I think con.
    Whenever I see "Squier by Fender", I think why mention Fender?
    Whenever I see "Fender Squier", I think untrustworthy.
    Whenever I see "Fender Squire", I think donut!
    Whenever I see "Fender Squier series", I think why did they do that?
    Squier is a distinct brand in its own right.
    My Fender search on ebay is "Fender -(Squier,Squire)".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    No different from a million and one Ebay listings.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    SNAKEBITE said:
    No different from a million and one Ebay listings.
    Yep, and they’re wrong too!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    <Pedant mode on>

If you are advertising an older Squier (such as a JV or the slightly later SQ) then the use of Squier by Fender is actually correct. The branding (as stated on the headstock) was exactly that. In fact the *very* first Squiers were Fender Squiers - the Fender logo was large and the Squier logo was smaller on the headstock.

Modern stuff - yes, the Squier brand is stand alone. However, the early stuff was Squier by Fender.

</Pedant mode>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I have no problem with Squiers as Guitars, they are fine instruments. It just seems rather dishonest. If you go to the homepage on the website it says at the top Fender Jazzmaster Giveaway, the same title is used as the Page Title that shows on the tab in the browser. 
    edited January 2018
    impmann said:
    <Pedant mode on>

If you are advertising an older Squier (such as a JV or the slightly later SQ) then the use of Squier by Fender is actually correct. The branding (as stated on the headstock) was exactly that. In fact the *very* first Squiers were Fender Squiers - the Fender logo was large and the Squier logo was smaller on the headstock.

Modern stuff - yes, the Squier brand is stand alone. However, the early stuff was Squier by Fender.

</Pedant mode>
    You need to follow up <pedant mode> with one of these... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD9d0ZrBnLE

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Someone was telling me they wanted to learn guitar and that they did have an electric guitar in the loft, a fender, and asked me if that was a good make.

I of course told him it is but then I saw it and it's a "starcaster" and very low end. Confusing that they've branded it fender and not Squier.

I learned from an Andertons video the other day that Gibson have the same thing available in Argos etc. and is branded Gibson but very low end.

Not sure why they do this. In a way it makes me think about the whole branding thing (for companies who essentially split their range over multiple brands).
    thegummy said:
    Not sure why they do this. In a way it makes me think about the whole branding thing (for companies who essentially split their range over multiple brands).
    It's to do with perception of the brand to the customers of the stores in question, a new starter buying a guitar at Argos might automatically think Gibson > Epiphone, most people who spend any time here would know a Gibson selling for £300 will not be better than an Epiphone selling at £400, actually reviews seem to indicate the Gibson would be a terrible buy.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    prowla said:

Whenever I see "Fender Squier series", I think why did they do that?
    There was a range of guitars by Fender in the early/mid 90s called the Squier Series. Large black Fender logo, small "Squier Series". Made by Fender in Mexico. Nothing to do with the Squier brand. US bodies and necks sent to Mexico for assembly with some lower end parts. Actually quite sought after in some circles.