Best road you’ve driven/ridden.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Iceland's south coast has some great bits between the dead straight stuff, but it's more about the views than the road itself.

Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain is spectacular, but not that interesting to drive as it's all hairpins

Some of the mountain passes in Jordan are pretty awesome; the Kings Highway is probably the best

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    ronnyb said:
    Sea View Drive. That's where my house is. I hate driving and am always glad to be home.
    Having said that, just booked to go to San Francisco at the end of March. Hired a Mustang to do the Pacific Coast highway. Wifey will be driving though.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I think in the UK the climb over the Lecht (Cock bridge to Tomintoul) in the Highlands takes some beating, whatever your chosen mode of transport.  It's also one of the few British passes that has a cafe at the top, The Cairnwell is another, also Hartside and Kirkstone Pass in Cumbria.  

Many years ago my wife and I cycled up the Pico de Veleta in Andalucia it's basically a 30 mile climb to 3,400 metres, just over 11,000 feet and from the foot of the climb it's about 9000 feet of ascent.  The highest road in Europe in fact. Have to say coming back down was the best part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I’ve only done a bit of the north west stretch around Sligo/Leitrim/Donegal but “The Wild Atlantic Way” is well worth a trip ! 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    fishfingers said:
    Cycling Sa Calobra in Majorca was fun, Bealach Na Ba on a touring bike was exhilarating but trying to ride Hard Knott pass on the Fred is something i will never forget

Oh yes, Sa Calobra - fun going down...  I've done it a few times, last time I caught three Spanish lads and we were flying past all the traffic on the descent we just got past a coach and there's a section where there's a low overhanging rock and if you get too close to it you have to duck.  Well the lad in front of me left it a bit late and caught it - it ripped his cap off which came flying back towards me, of course in those days most of us didn't wear helmets but I thought at the time if he had been wearing one it would have been interesting, the speed we were going.

• shoodursshoodurs Frets: 35
    edited January 2018
    I've ridden so many amazing routes by bike. (Proper bike, not the motorised kind!) 

I think my favourite was a 60ish mile loop from Edinburgh airport over the hills to the Kincardine Bridge, then back down the other side of the Forth before finishing across the Forth road Bridge. Just the right mix of hills, stunning views and fast bendy descents. Even a cobbled section through on of the villages in the North side. Did it in a touch over 4 hours so not too shabby either. 

I've also cycled round the bridges twice. 2nd time went round too quick and carrying too much on my rack. Blew my left knee as a result but, 3 years later hope to do a century ride this year. Can't wait for better weather!
    shoodurs said:

I've also cycled round the bridges twice. 2nd time went round too quick and carrying too much on my rack. Blew my left knee as a result but, 3 years later hope to do a century ride this year. Can't wait for better weather!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I am a man of simple tastes when comes to my Motorbiking but one thing I really appreciate is a safe and fit for purpose surface!

Just look at the roads in this ride demo for an Indian Scout Bobber... THIS is what we should expect in this country equally for the massive taxes taken off us at every turn for owning  a motor vehicle...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    When I was a child my dad drove us through the Pyrenees from France to Spain. I still remember the mix of awe at the views and terror at the drop! 

As an adult I love the road from Craignure to Fionphortt especially in an evening as the sun starts to drop. 
    I rode to the Pyrenees with my mate in 2016. Loved it. The N240 and N260 are fantastic roads. We based ourselves in Jaca, another place I’d like to go back to. 
    We've had a week in the Pyrenees for the past four years (in a cabin near Lescun) and I have to concur - the drives around that whole region are both breathtakingly beautiful and nerve-wracking! I can recommend a trip up to the Col d'Aubisque to anyone passing through the area. Possibly one of my favourite places. I've been looking for a picture but nothing really sums it up!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2557
    dogload said:
    cruxiform said:
    When I was a child my dad drove us through the Pyrenees from France to Spain. I still remember the mix of awe at the views and terror at the drop! 

As an adult I love the road from Craignure to Fionphortt especially in an evening as the sun starts to drop. 
    I rode to the Pyrenees with my mate in 2016. Loved it. The N240 and N260 are fantastic roads. We based ourselves in Jaca, another place I’d like to go back to. 
    We've had a week in the Pyrenees for the past four years (in a cabin near Lescun) and I have to concur - the drives around that whole region are both breathtakingly beautiful and nerve-wracking! I can recommend a trip up to the Col d'Aubisque to anyone passing through the area. Possibly one of my favourite places. I've been looking for a picture but nothing really sums it up!

Thanks to Google Maps/Streetview I've just looked that up and it looks awesome, thanks for that! It made me feel a little gutted as it appears that we rode within 30 miles of there in 2016 as we rode from Pau to Jaca. Doh!