Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps which sound better at low volume

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    Probably not in the spirit of the original question as it's not giggable but the Fender Champion 600 is better at lower levels.  At lower levels it has a really sweet clean sound.  When you crank it the poxy little 6" speaker can't cope and it sounds horrible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72437
    Hayden Mofo - I’ve got one here for some work. It doesn’t sound too bad at low volume - if a bit too dark and not very lively - but gets horribly grainy and congested-sounding when you turn it up.

Also has the most stupidly-located switch on any amp ever - on the bottom, where it will inevitably get bashed, causing the amp to intermittently drop into ‘stealth’ (ie hidden under a warehouse full of blankets) mode...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Dominic said:
    Strat54 said:
    I've never found one....but I've not tried a Carr Mercury on say the 1/4 watt setting.
    NO,.........it sounds quite good dialled down but the last 2 settings are poor IMO which is true of most attenuators ...they work really well until you get down to the last 30 per cent.
    Agreed. It's a great sounding amp but those last two settings are only used in desperate times.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30292
    ZVex Nano Head.
    Sounds great at all volumes.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7468
    Blackstar. Off preferably. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to go put on a limb and say the peavey bandit.

It sounds perfectly okay up loud, but it really sounds absolutely fantastic at home volume and beat away some decent valve amps for a while. Takes pedals very well, bit can also be dialled bright and lively with lots of dynamics at low volume if needed. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I'd say the H&K Tubemeister 5 Combo is a bit like this - it sounds surprisingly good at low volume but the more you turn it up the more obvious it becomes that it is a small speaker in a small box.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Randall make a 1 watt head that sounds impressive at home volume. It has speaker emulated XLR out and an FX loop. Insane amount of gain if you want it.

I have the combo version with 8" speaker but I think they discontinued it. There is a new old stock Randall RD1C combo on ebay for £95 plus postage. At that price you could always get your money back if it didn't suit. I paid £99 for mine secondhand from Richtone. I think they retailed at circa £250.
  • mart said: 
    I know some amps that sound best when the volume is at 0. :)
    Fender bassbreaker 7
    I was going to mention that particular amp as well!

The entire Bassbreaker series just seems really flat and muddy to my ears (and others it seems)