Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One of the coolest guitar solos I have heard in ages.

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited January 2018 in Guitar
I don't know how it has taken me so long to discover this album, but I have now and bloody hell. Go to 3:20 to hear a jarring, cut-together masterpiece from Jon Poole:

Apparently cut together from several takes, which explains the utterly bizarre sound, but it's just perfect. A very perverse and masochistic part of me wants to slow it down and see if it's even possible to learn it.

Cardiacs were a band I was always aware of, and knew a few tunes, but didn't really explore them any deeper. Now I've heard "Sing To God" I wish I'd thrown myself headlong into it a good couple of years ago. It's unbelievable. Such a shame they're now out of action after Tim Smith's health problems.

Jon Poole, by the way, went on to work extensively with Ginger Wildheart as a bassist, and then started The Dowling Poole with Willie Dowling, and is a guitarist, singer, bassist AND drummer on their stuff. He's an unbelievable musician.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited January 2018
    Somewhere I have a CD of Zappa covers Jon did on a four track in his bedroom... met him a few times when he was touring with the Wildhearts and ended up giving him an acoustic bass I never used cos he was on an acoustic tour and his had packed in one night at the St Albans Horn. Really decent chap and, as you say, v talented musician.

mental solo, btw.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Cardiacs have employed that shamelessly obvious drop-in technique many times. Many, many times.

This version of "Is This The Life?" has been remixed and remastered. The KORG pad sounds normal but the other synth is brighter than I remember on vinyl. The guitar solo is extended - more like it would have been live, Jim. Jim. Jim. Jim.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10438
    edited January 2018
    Jon came down to my studio in 2013, 2014 maybe ... everyone called him Random .... great sense of humour and lovely bloke who liked a drink as much as I do. He was on bass and was in fact picking up a bass made by a good friend of mine called a Webb ... no idea if he still has it. He jammed with some other friends of mine in the live room for a couple of hours. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Danny1969 said:
    Jon came down to my studio in 2013, 2014 maybe ... everyone called him Random .... great sense of humour and lovely bloke who liked a drink as much as I do. He was on bass and was in fact picking up a bass made by a good friend of mine called a Webb ... no idea if he still has it. He jammed with some other friends of mine in the live room for a couple of hours. 
    Fantastic! Ginger Wildheart came up with "Random Jon Poole" as a stage name - it was his way of justifying to Wildhearts fans why there was a funny-looking bald chap with a bowler hat playing bass for them. Not that he needs justifying - I think he's one of the coolest bass players I've ever heard, and a big influence on how I play bass.

Apparently he got a very hard time from the fans on the first Wildhearts tour he did, simply because he replaced Danny McCormack - who at the time was so deep into substance abuse issues that he could barely play. Ginger said that those shows, and the reaction from the crowd, was one of the only times he had ever felt ashamed of the behaviour of his own fans.
    The more I listen to "Sing To God" the more I fall hopelessly in love with this band. It's a work of genius.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Better than the usual 'drivel' you post @Bucket ;
     =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Vid already posted above but here's a magnificent solo from Tim Smith - which more people might know, as this was the only thing they ever had that even approached being a "hit". Go to 2:30 and make sure you're sitting down.

• Bucket said: ki
    I don't know how it has taken me so long to discover this album, but I have now and bloody hell. Go to 3:20 to hear a jarring, cut-together masterpiece from Jon Poole:

Apparently cut together from several takes, which explains the utterly bizarre sound, but it's just perfect. A very perverse and masochistic part of me wants to slow it down and see if it's even possible to learn it.

Cardiacs were a band I was always aware of, and knew a few tunes, but didn't really explore them any deeper. Now I've heard "Sing To God" I wish I'd thrown myself headlong into it a good couple of years ago. It's unbelievable. Such a shame they're now out of action after Tim Smith's health problems.

Jon Poole, by the way, went on to work extensively with Ginger Wildheart as a bassist, and then started The Dowling Poole with Willie Dowling, and is a guitarist, singer, bassist AND drummer on their stuff. He's an unbelievable musician.
    Dude, I told you about the Cardiacs years ago and specifically this solo.!  It took you a while but I'm glad you found it eventually. It's just nuts.  I can't actually belive that solo is possible either but I stood in amazement to see Jon do it in front of me at the Joiners Arms in Southampton.

I grew up listening to the Cardiacs as my older brother was/is a huge fan.  'All the glitters is a mares nest ' Is a totally sublime live album. 
    edited January 2018
    Dude, I told you about the Cardiacs years ago and specifically this solo.!  It took you a while but I'm glad you found it eventually. It's just nuts.  I can't actually belive that solo is possible either but I stood in amazement to see Jon do it in front of me at the Joiners Arms in Southampton.

I grew up listening to the Cardiacs as my older brother was/is a huge fan.  'All the glitters is a mares nest ' Is a totally sublime live album. 
    Shit, sorry! I mean nothing by it, you wouldn't have been the only one - I am often like that... sometimes I mean to check something out and don't for ages, the moment has to be right. I've lost count of how many times I've been given advice, not taken it and then wished I had once I found out for myself, sometimes years later. It happened eventually anyway, I've fallen hard dissapointed 

Do you know the Dowling Poole? Saw them recently and met Jon, what a lovely man. They're an amazing, amazing band.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have never heard a single note by the cardiacs. Not practical to listen right now, I must remember to come back
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    edited January 2018
    axisus said:
    Not practical to listen right now
    Too many irons in the fire?
    axisus said:
    I have never heard a single note by the cardiacs.
    Cardiacs. (No definitive article.) Meanwhile, either somebody did not read the thread from the beginning or I am on yet another Ignore List.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ye gods. That was horrible.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ye gods. That was horrible.
    I think everyone who hears the Cardiacs for the first time has that reaction.

They were a very unusual band and it does take time to 'get' them.  Of course a lot of people won't like them at all but I found that if they do start to grow on you, you end up absolutely LOVING them. Very much a marmite band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and @Bucket if you ever wondered why I play Westone and Shergold guitars...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Ye gods. That was horrible.
    +1 - yuk! Pain in my ears!
  • Sounds like the bastard child of Robert Fripp and Yngwie on speed. I consider myself open to most new music by that really doesn't stroke my goat.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    .....that really doesn't stroke my goat.
    Totally nicking that for the next fetish party
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    JerkMoans said:
    .....that really doesn't stroke my goat.
    Totally nicking that for the next fetish party
    Er... Jerk... Moans..  Goat...  Stroking...... ??

Might be a good album title
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    Oh, and @Bucket if you ever wondered why I play Westone and Shergold guitars...

A thunder with spectrum neck and concord headstock.... Spectrum II maybe? 
    Sarge said:
    A thunder with spectrum neck and concord headstock.... Spectrum II maybe? 
    While you're at it, what the blue-rinsed hell is Tim playing in the "Is This The Life?" video? Never been able to place it.