What to look for when buying a second hand neck

What's Hot
Are there any obvious signs that a neck might not be right?  Can you tell if there is any bowing or warping if the neck is not strung on a guitar or will this only become obvious once fully set up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    I’ve seen necks with visible twists in them when they were off the guitar. Of course, took a while to make sure it wasn’t my eyes. I remember checking up on it over the course of a few days at room temp. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    Apart from the obvious physical checks regarding damage, wear and straightness etc I always make sure the truss rod works so that there's a touch of relief with some tension on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It's difficult to tell from pictures, but if you had the neck infront of you, there are definately things you can look out for.

Sight down the neck from both ends to see if there's any twist. The first fret should be parallel with the last fret as you look down the neck. Dont' let the nut put you off as they can be set at a slight angle.

Next look down both edges of the neck to see if the fret ends are in a straight line. You should be able to see if there is a forwards or back bow. Without strings I'd expect the neck to be straight or have very slight back bow.

If you want to go a step further you could take a set of allen keys with you to make sure the truss rod works. If the truss rod is broke then the neck will be firewood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    edited January 2018
    Excellent advice, thanks guys.  Not sure I am confident enough to make these calls.  There is a chap selling a musikraft neck on gumtree for £120 which seems like a good price, so I am tempted, but I already have enough firewood :/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746

Twists, fret wear, mounting holes, finish

• ewalewal Frets: 2602
    Having had my fingers burnt once before - make sure the heel is the right dimensions for the body
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom