Help for my Tubemeister 5

What's Hot
Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37
I have a  Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 (100V) which I bought in Japan and took with me on my holiday to Thailand.
The voltage here is 220V So I bought the step down converter and everything was working fine.
That was until I stupidly plugged it directly into the power socket (without the converter) and turned it on. It lit up for a second and then died. Now It wont turn on at all even via the step down socket. Something has blown. 

I am completely useless with anything electronic so have no idea what to do. Can it be fixed, or do I have to say RIP to this little amp? Any advice or suggestions appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4178
    There will be a fuse in the back of the amp - this would be my first guess.  Check the amp's back panel, there should be a holder which you unscrew to reveal the fuse.  Replace with the correct type which should be written on the panel next to the holder.  Probably best not to automatically assume the fuse that's in there is correct, as it could have been changed to the wrong type before you got your hands on the amp.

If it's still kaput I'll defer to the knowledgeable amp techs here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Looks like you have to unscrew and remove the back panel to get to the fuse box. 
    Does it have a standard IEC (kettle-lead) socket?  Is there a little removable flap at the bottom of the socket that contains a fuse?
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As per randella, the Tubemeister 5 has a 20mm fuse built into the IEC socket at the back of the amp, prise it out with a terminal screwdriver, if you are lucky, that is your problem  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited January 2018
    Prayers offered, for the fuse that hopefully died in order to save the life of the amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37
    Hi guys.

Thanks for the advice. Managed to change the fuse like you said and its working fine again! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent - good news!