Gov't Mule - Effigy Guitar

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Does anyone have a good source on what guitar (even pickups?) used by Warren Haynes on the song "Effigy"?

I always thought he was a LP guy but I read him saying that on Gov't Mule he uses a variety of different Gibson guitars.

Reason I ask is because it's my ultimate favourite guitar tone I've heard so particularly interested in how it was made.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    WH owns some nice old guitars. He gets to borrow some nice old guitars. He has been granted a signature model. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I saw him play it live it was the non-reverse firebird through the SLO 100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited January 2018
    WH owns some nice old guitars. He gets to borrow some nice old guitars. He has been granted a signature model. 
    He deserves them!

Love his playing so much, hadn't heard of him till relatively recently either
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    One of CCR's best songs (darker than a lot of their stuff)...

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited January 2018
    As you say, he uses a lot of different guitars. Not just Gibsons: IIRC, he used a Strat Plus in the early days!

However, go to 5:11 and his late tech, Brian Farmer, picks up a '61 335 and says "This would be his favourite, probably, recording guitar. We used it on a lot of the Deep End stuff...."

That one has "real PAFs" so get saving!

Seriously though, he sounds pretty much the same to me whatever he uses. I think he used Duncan Pearly Gates in his "live" reissue Les Pauls early on but the signature models had, I think, burstbuckers. Anything generally PAF-like should get you close enough to his typical tone. The chops are up to you!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    @Funkfingers just got a chance to watch that video, I loved it! Thanks for posting.

I've never liked semi acoustics but that sounded amazing.

Would be shocked if it was the 335 on effigy though.

For those of you with a lot of experience with different guitars, what would you grab to play a cover of the song?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    thegummy said:
    I've never liked semi acoustics but that sounded amazing.
    I'll wager that it doesn't sound quite so good on a stand or a wall hanger. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.