What's wrong with this telecaster ?

What's Hot
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-guitar-plus-amp-case-and-all-cables-faulty-input-jack-no-sound/142648251746?hash=item21367f9562:g:i-sAAOSwMYRaUJe9

I've been looking at getting myself a telecaster lately, and just spotted this on "the devils auction site" in a town nearby... it could very well be something but it might be absolutely nothing? 

can anyone spot any reason not to bid? I'm not sure why but my suspicion glands have flared up....

thanks 

(I already own a soldering iron and have wired many a pickup and jack socket)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it seems suspicious because of the awful English. The photos look fine and it probably just needs a re-wire.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    It’s a Squier but for that price it’s worth a punt 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Collection only, from Falmouth, will put a lot of folk off.  I'd go for it.
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    "not an original telecaster as far as I know"

???
  • The serial number is late 80's (Samick factory, Korea I think), but is that bridge correct? I've never seen a tele bridge like that? And the part where the seller states they're not sure if the guitar is original..... 

• Definitely worth a punt as long as the price doesn't get silly, and I would assume not a difficult fix (nothing is that difficult in Telecaster wiring!) probably a wire come off somewhere
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a Telecaster
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2481
    The bridge saddles look to be wrong for the bridge. Offset string entry but straight saddles (if that makes sense). Other than that <shrug>.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    It's a late 80s Korean Samick Tele, probably some of the lowest quality Squiers ever made. Most had plywood bodies, very cheap hardware (noteice the trapezoid tuners), often microphonic pickups and this one looks like it has a two piece headstock (join running lengthways under Squier logo) which I'm not sure I've seen on a Squier before :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Needs new strings.......that's all I've got....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Thanks all (esp @Octafish),  I shall leave well alone from here on in.  

My other option locally is a Squier classic vibe 50's in vintage blonde with hardcase - is £250 a bargain price or should I be haggling down? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Thanks all (esp @Octafish),  I shall leave well alone from here on in.  

My other option locally is a Squier classic vibe 50's in vintage blonde with hardcase - is £250 a bargain price or should I be haggling down? 
    Would seem a fair price, especially including a hard case, haggle though clearly or we'll have to call Burt...
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Thanks all (esp @Octafish),  I shall leave well alone from here on in.  

I've got a CV50s Tele, very nice guitar and pretty decent pickups. £250 is a good price.
  • ...that's it. I'm calling Burt
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
    Octafish said:
    It's a late 80s Korean Samick Tele, probably some of the lowest quality Squiers ever made. Most had plywood bodies, very cheap hardware (noteice the trapezoid tuners), often microphonic pickups and this one looks like it has a two piece headstock (join running lengthways under Squier logo) which I'm not sure I've seen on a Squier before :o
    This. It's probably OK as a project, but be aware you may have to replace most of it :).

If the amp works it's worth £18 as well. It won't be good either, but you can always sell it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14545
    Octafish said:
    late 80s Korean ... some of the lowest quality Squiers ever made ... plywood bodies
    Yup. Those were the ones that made a guest appearance in full page advertisements for the Yamaha Pacifica 112. 

is that bridge correct? I've never seen a tele bridge like that?
    That bridge design is an Asian version of the "top loader" type seen on the revised 1982/3 American Standard Telecaster. Something similar also appeared on MIJ Squier Silver Series Telecasters. The solid, machine baseplate is fine. The cast saddles suck. 

Fortunately, replacement saddles with the correct intonation screw offsets are available.
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/string-saver/product-detail/ps-8102-00-string-saver-orignals-tele-deluxe-3-3-saddles?id=c212d940-7be8-4518-8e6c-e74e2cb32bb5

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If the bridge saddles don't fit correctly you may have issues finding ones that do. Also replacing the bridge plate may be difficult due to the 3 screw configuration, you won't be able to fit a vintage style ashtray bridge - the only bridge that might fit is a modern US Tele bridge.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/