SORTED....Acoustic guitar demos - how and which equipment?

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited January 2018 in Guitar
People

I want to shoot some acoustic guitar demos for a good friend who runs an acoustic guitar business. Great sound quality is essential as the guitars are expensive hand made instruments ranging from £2,500 to £25,000+ with many buyers from around the world buying online without visiting the store.

Thing is, I hate technology. I have an iPad with garageband and a decent Nikon digital SLR. Anyone have any tips on what 'software' is best to use and which other equipment will be needed to be able to sync the recorded sound with the video?

Is there a relatively simple way that this late 50s technophobe can achieve the above without needing a degree!?

Thank you in advance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I'm going to suggest you need some lighting, couple of good mics. To get a good sync a visual marker like a hand clap is good. Then you can line up the audio file with the picture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Thanks @Teetonetal much appreciated
  • As @Teetonetal said: Good mics. Consensers, Methinks. Also decent bitrate encoding, no lossy compression! Which means you need decent size RAM.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463

Will you need some kind of interface to plug the mics into the iPad?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    I can't help you with the equipment, but the best advice I can offer is to show case the product and not the player - Show the tonal attributes of the guitar - maybe produce a 'to do list' before hand of key points you wish to show - big open chords, harmonics, sustain, balance, how responsive it is etc etc

Granted a good player can show how the guitar sounds with different styles be it finger style, flat picking and strumming etc - but essential the video shows the guitar at its best and not the player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom