Jazzmaster tremolo arm is stiff - do I oil it or something else?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
edited January 2018 in Guitar
I recently bought a '65 Jazzmaster AV. The problem is the tremolo arm is rather stiff. Not the up and down whammy motion, I mean the radial movement in its sleeve. Could it be oiled? Perhaps a nut is too tight? I guess I'm going to have to remove the tremolo plate to access it. Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They’re just push ins... personally would prefer stiff than floppy... ahem... but pull the arm out and put a bit of WD40 on it, see if that helps. Or go to staytrem and purchase their arm and Collet upgrade for £30... highly recommend. Arm stays where you leave it but moves smoothly when you want it to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I can push it in no problem and the lateral up and down movement is fine, it's the circular motion that's way too stiff as if the collet needs oiling.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    WD40 ?
    blueskunk said:
    WD40 ?
    Well, I don't want to be squirting willy-nilly so I may take it apart and have a look inside.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Philtre said:
    blueskunk said:
    WD40 ?
    Well, I don't want to be squirting willy-nilly so I may take it apart and have a look inside.
    I'd go with a good grease or some triflow instead of the wd40 - unless you get a lot of water in your trem
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Philtre said:
    blueskunk said:
    WD40 ?
    Cake it all over the trem from the outside ;) job sorted perhaps 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    Hi all, my first post so I might as well add something useful from my personal experience.

If you take the trem apart be very wary of attempting to bend out the collet teeth to make the action looser, they are brittle as f*ck and very easy to break.

Yes, I broke mine attempting to squeeze them up, gentlest of pressure and *snap*

Still on the positive side my trem is pretty loose now .... :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the insight @francer - have your first wisdom point from me ;-)
  • Vaseline innit
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    francer said:
    Hi all, my first post so I might as well add something useful from my personal experience.

If you take the trem apart be very wary of attempting to bend out the collet teeth to make the action looser, they are brittle as f*ck and very easy to break.

Yes, I broke mine attempting to squeeze them up, gentlest of pressure and *snap*

Still on the positive side my trem is pretty loose now .... :(
    Been there, done it. Perfect time to buy a Staytrem arm. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Are you guys sure this isn't adjustable? On my Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM there is a small grub screw in the rear trem spring cavity that adjusts the tightness of the push-fit.  Might there be something similar in the Jazzmaster?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited January 2018
    Sorted. I misunderstood how it worked. I thought the collet was turning, when in fact the point of friction is the tremolo arm inside the collet. Flaxseed oil on a rag, a little wipe down on the base of the arm and done. Thanks for suggestions!