RG550 Owners....

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
I've got an '87 RG550 with Rosewood neck that's in serious need of some TLC. It's my play at home practice guitar and the strings are well well well overdue replacing, but I'm starting to gig again and it would cover a lot of songs so thinking of getting it all cleaned up. 

Just wondering what strings you guys are using.. I think it's got 9s on it but was thinking of putting 10s on (Mainly because that's all I've got at home).

Also thought I might replace the pickups while I'm at it.. anyone using non stock pickups?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I don't have one any more but I did have a 1990 DY 550. The stock pickups were the V1 and V2 pickups, if yours are the same then I'd say keep them. They're just like Dimarzio Super Distortions which cover quite a lot surprisingly. 

9s are great for widdly widdly stuff but 10s are a little more comfortable playing live, as you'll find you dig in harder when playing in front of people.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    I've got an RG750 with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's on 09-46. Best of both worlds?

Might be stating the obvious but if you put a different gauge on you will have to reset the tension on the trem. Which is a bit of a pain in the backside. Surely its easier to just go online and order some new strings?

The 750 has USA IBZ DiMarzios on it rather than the stock Ibanez pickups. They are great. I believe a Tone Zone is the nearest modern day equivalent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    remember if you move to 10's you'll need to adjust the springs on the trem block to stop it 'tilting' upwards and further away from the body and chances are a tweak on the truss rod - Not sure if you are into such work or take it to a tech
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Try 9.5’s from D’addario,  use them ok my Strats and Charvel, they have the playability of 9’s but a little more “beef” to the sound
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited January 2018
    I've got an RG570 and have been wondering what to do with it.

Thinking of converting to dive only and putting a big block in the back of it (not sure if that is snake oil or not though).

What sort of pups do you have in mind?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    10's work well IMO, got bare knuckle Emeralds on mine because that's how it came, but the stock pickups are fine
  • 9-46 on my RG, I likes it.

Tone Zone bridge pickup is nice and chunky (cleans not so good though). I've never found a neck pickup that I was entirely happy with.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Doing a setup is no problem.  

On a closer inspection it it looks like the ridge pickup isn’t original.  No idea what it is. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited January 2018
    Elwood said:

Thinking of converting to dive only and putting a big block in the back of it (not sure if that is snake oil or not though).
    Maybe check out one of these?

https://www.allparts.com/tremol-no

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Is there no indication on the underside of the bridge pickup of what it might be?

Here's what I've got, all in standard tuning:

550 ('91 [block heel], rosewood fretboard, bridge Evolution/middle stock/neck SD Distortion, nines) 

Also two very close relatives:

RG1550MPBL ('?? [AANJ], maple fretboard, bridge Jeff Beck SH4/middle stock/neck stock, nines) 

RG2011SC-BK ('11 [extended AANJ], rosewood fretboard, bridge Tone Zone/middle True Velvet/neck simulation, tens but moving to nines this change) 

On strings, nines and tens make me play differently and sound different. I like going wild and twangy on nines a bit better than pummelling riffs on tens, though it's close. If I could get my practice hours up I'd maybe be able to play huge bends on tens and have the best of both worlds.  

I think your pickups are likely to be most like the stock ones in my 550, I liked it much more when I went to aftermarket units.

The 1550 will be getting new higher-output pickups. Probably DiMarzios in blue.

• RS540 LTD here and 10's all the way, actually use 10's on all my electrics
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    NelsonP said:
    Elwood said:

Maybe check out one of these?

https://www.allparts.com/tremol-no

Cheers, already got a WTB up for one. Unfortunately it's not one size fits all - small clamp for stock block & large clamp if upgraded.