How much would you spend on one guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• And another thing! Have you seen the prices of new Rickenbackers now? At least £2500 for a 360/6 and about £3000 for a 360/12. I know the pound's weak but that's crazy. They were a grand less about 18 months ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    TBH not more than a grand.

I could afford more but for what I want as a home player and my level of virtuosity that is more than enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Up until a few years ago I probably wouldn't have spent more than £1000, but I did get lucky and get a couple of bargains that would usually cost loads more than that. I've since spent over that on a few, and over £2000 on one. I wouldn't usually do that, but it was simply the best guitar I've ever played in my whole life and entirely suited to how I play - and that'd have to be the case for me to spend that amount again. On the other hand, I recently got a 2nd hand 80's Tele (with a locking trem!) for £300 that plays and sounds as good as most of my £1k+ guitars; love looking out for cool second hand stuff like this!
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    IDK, like 70% of any payment under £10k (so like £6.5k or £9k or even maybe £10k if not £9k); never 100%, no matter how much I wanted it.

That's how much I'd spend on a guitar.

Okay, once it was 100%, but, it was totally worth it and the guitar was marked down from £2, 800.00

The most I've spent in £ is £1, 985.00 in 2011 and £3, 995.00 in 2017.
    Which at the times was like 100% and 70% of what I had to my name. - That's the guitar budgets.
  • munckee said:
    GuyR said:
    So you agree then?
    I think he has demonstrated he agrees.
    hahahaha FFS, no idea what happened there. None of my replies would post and then they all appeared later on!

/facepalm
    edited January 2018
    It just dawned on me and even induced a slight sex face from a forgotten truth.
    My next year's budget I think it's like £14k and could be one lump sum...
    I remember now, I thought I was getting that this year and had to make do with £10k in all £6.5k already paid out.
    My... next year's budget has me all...

I'm not used to what I call big money like that.
    's why it all goes to guitar
    "like £1, 000, 000.00 (at least) worth of fun."
    But I've never had any personal budgets north of £10k to consider before, yet, so IDK how much I'd spend on a guitar.

I mean, here's to hoping  the £/the currency and the economy doesn't fall.
  • I've been tempted by the 0% offers on new 335's...though i would be loathe to spend £3k+ on one in one hit, i wouldnt miss a couple of hundred quid a month. I know, I know. That's stupid.
  • I so far, with my expensive buys, have loved/wanted the guitar.
    I won't buy a guitar for guitars sake, it has to feel/sound good.

So I don't understand stories of people not loving their dream guitars or whatever, my guitars have been like love at first play and really nice and that I've coveted for years.
  • £2500 is pretty much my limit. 
    edited January 2018
    I mean, I'm getting £3.4k soon...
    and all I want is https://www.ebay.com/itm/263401975696
    for £392.00 before import duty.

Maybe, not sure if I want it/am going to buy, but, why not?
    Could be/should be a nice guitar to have.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    If I got a big bonus from work I would still feel guilty if I didn't use it for all the stuff my wife can list that needs fixing around the house.  I live there too...just she cares more than me :)  Or a car...
    I guess if it was a really big bonus I would happily spend 500-1000 on a guitar/gear but no more.  Probably.
    If it was a Euromillions win (100M+) then it's a different story!
    edited January 2018
    I see it has...
    Sports-Guitar.
    Vs.
    a used mk5 VW Golf.

Gibson and Fender, well they're like Porsche and Ferrari (to me).
    My budget might not be able to afford a Porsche or a Ferrari yet...
    But by the time my midlife crises comes around, I'd have already have had my Gibson and Fender fill.
  • I mean yesterday, I wasn't even feeling it and it still sounds great/amazing/can do this

My Gibson R7
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited January 2018
    Generally £850 to £1000; having said that I have 2 guitars over that amount, a 1966 Mustang and an ES345. The ES345 is a recent purchase in the sales, sold 3 guitars to get it and paid circa £2300 for it. It's an amazing instrument, beautifully built, sounds incredible and has the bonus of being a limited run. Having said all that I think they're around £4k new and I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it for that money!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I dunno, I suppose ultimately I'd be limited by what I could regularly afford in insurance payments. Long before that kicked in, though, by the necessities of life. It all depends on the individual instrument. I believe firmly in the principle of "price of admission".

My first priorities are sound and ease of playability, followed by looks/cool factor.

I've been trying for years to find the right guitar for the main thing I do, and have bumped the budget up to 6k (or more, that's the price tag on the most expensive thing I've found to try in person that fit the general specs bill) but still not been able to get the feeling of "Yes! I must have this!" :( So I'm still looking, and making do with much lower-value instruments.

• aord43 said:
    If I got a big bonus from work I would still feel guilty if I didn't use it for all the stuff my wife can list that needs fixing around the house.  I live there too...just she cares more than me :)  Or a car...
    I guess if it was a really big bonus I would happily spend 500-1000 on a guitar/gear but no more.  Probably.
    If it was a Euromillions win (100M+) then it's a different story!
    Of course. If you've got £10k of savings to your name then spending £3k of it on a guitar is probably a bit crazy. If you've got £100k of savings then £5k is probably sensible enough. If you've got £10,000,000 of savings then you probably wouldn't even notice spunking £10k or £50k on a guitar and why not?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    It depends entirely on circumstances - a friend of a friend sold his business for £70,000,000 and treated himself to a £180,000 Aston Martin. As a proportion of his net worth, that’s a lot less than my Ford Focus is of mine....
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Currently up to £500 would be really splashing out for me. Anywhere between £200-300 is more feasible for me. To be honest with the standard of low end guitars now that'll still get me a good guitar so I'd have a hard time justifying the bigger spend.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11774
    The most expensive guitar I've bought cost me £540!

I'd happily consider more expensive guitars if I found the right one, but haven't so far!

Loved the idea of the EOB Sustainer Strat, but if I bought one it's likely fiddling with the sustainer would make me a worse guitar player.

For me any nicely-playable guitar >> Katana is what will help me progress, anything else is just spending money for the sake of it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...