Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars you don't enjoy playing live

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    You'll regret selling it if you do. I know I did with mine and I wasn't even a "proper" LP. @HarrySeven may I buy it back please?  :)

Errrrr.....
    Oops for some reason I thought it had ended up in your collection! 

It has! That was an “Errrrr....it’s staying here, sorry” kind of thing! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Telecasters i love the sound of them and play them at home but when i take them to gigs i just can't play them and always go back to my stratocaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited January 2018
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    You'll regret selling it if you do. I know I did with mine and I wasn't even a "proper" LP. @HarrySeven may I buy it back please?  

Errrrr.....
    Oops for some reason I thought it had ended up in your collection! 

It has! That was an “Errrrr....it’s staying here, sorry” kind of thing!
    Balls, well it was worth a shot

Edit - and to keep the thread on track, I sold my old parts strat straight after the first gig. Sounded and felt great at home but live it sounded weak and lacked sustain, strapped on the old faithful les paul and everything was right with the world. Possibly could have just done with a light boost to help the strat along though but back then I couldn't be arsed with pedals.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3075
    Anything other than my LP. I never seem to have the time even at rehearsal to dial my Strat in properly. I've had it pretty close but I always cave in at gigs and play my LP all night. I've only played my Strat on about 4-5 songs in 7 ish years despite it being my main player at home.... I think it's a mental block.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    edited January 2018
    I've always been a Fender single coil guy since I started gigging in the 70s but struggle to get the sounds I love at home to work at high volume, at least since it's become impossible to run old Marshalls flat out in pubs.  

The reason I became a P90fool is because I can get that fat single coil sound I hear in my head through pretty well any amp at any volume, and combined with a heavyish Les Paul it just has an authority about it. 

I still love my old parts bin Strat, but whenever I gig it I always grab my LP after a couple of songs.

The Strat sounds lovely on its own but in a mix the sound just seems to exit the speaker cab and fall on the floor. 
  • SGs.. it was one of the worst things about being Angus in a previous band... much prefer super strats... the SG was a constant fight to play, especially with the low gain... didn't suit my playing style at all...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2018
    ...I only ever play live if I can take my cushion and sit cross legged...

http://img.sharetv.com/video/standard/1034003.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The experience has also left me a far less fussy guitarist. String spacing, scale lengths, control positions and fretboard radiuses (radii?) hold no fear for me at all now.

@DefaultM you say you play 'them' at home and don't want to sell 'them' - do you mean you have more than 1 LP?

If so, tune 1 to Eb and take them both to the next few gigs and leave the PRS at home. Dial your amp to deal with the darkness and get used to the feel of the LP without the contrast of coming from the PRS. You may well find that half-a-dozen gigs later you've become an LP man!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    @DefaultM one of the things that makes the Gibson LP a great live guitar is the way it interacts with the amp in an organic way and has the power and clarity to go from sweet n' clean to raw and dirty by digging in with the pick and using the guitars controls.
    Many modern guitars sound really nice, a good LP can do that too, but it's those little nuances and subtleties of tone that your playing inflection can bring to the fore that other guitars struggle to do.

You might think I'm talking bollox (highly probable some would say) and indeed some LPs can't do it. But I urge you to give it a few more goes while tweaking your setup to optimise it. We've all become accoustomed to that slightly too perfect sanitised sound of edited modern recordings, let the beast have it's head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom