Les Paul Deluxe

What's Hot
KoaKoa Frets: 120
How would you describe the sound of a Les Paul Deluxe? I always though they were like meatier Telecasters but are the pickups closer to P90s?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    No, they're not really like P90s - more like halfway between a PAF and a Tele bridge.

I really like them, they have a real bite and 'ring' to them that's pretty much what I always look for in a guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    No, they're not really like P90s - more like halfway between a PAF and a Tele bridge.

I really like them, they have a real bite and 'ring' to them that's pretty much what I always look for in a guitar.
    Agreed - they are a little brighter and snappier than full-size HB, with a less dark bottom-end. I always think of them in amp terms like a 2x10 cab v a 2x12 cab.  At the time I bought my 1969 Strat with (non-original) case for £187.50 in 1977 the (then) Bell catalogue were selling brand new Gold Top Deluxes for £239 (case extra). In those days the difference was a lot, but I always wished I'd had a bit more money and could have bought one.  

Image result for 1977 bell musical instrument catalogue les paul goldtop
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    The guy out The War on Drugs was playing a deluxe on live performances a couple of years ago...

https://youtu.be/SkHwBVnutjM

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Scott Gorham (of Thin Lizzy fame) had a Deluxe ...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    Dan from Soul Asylum played a Deluxe. Pretty monstrous tone actually on their rockier tunes. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    fandango said:
    But hated it. He wanted a Custom, but the management thought it was too expensive!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    ICBM said:
    fandango said:
    But hated it. He wanted a Custom, but the management thought it was too expensive!
    This.

Gives me an excuse to share this again - solo starts at 1:40. 

https://youtu.be/dq6fCOGyVJg
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14322
    tFB Trader
    far more brighter than a regular humbucker - more articulation and less fat mids - so yes some fat single coil voice about them

Bridge pick-up has something of a fat Tele voice about it - neck is crisp and clear with good depth and again far less fat mids than a humbucker
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:

Agreed - they are a little brighter and snappier than full-size HB, with a less dark bottom-end. I always think of them in amp terms like a 2x10 cab v a 2x12 cab.  At the time I bought my 1969 Strat with (non-original) case for £187.50 in 1977 the (then) Bell catalogue were selling brand new Gold Top Deluxes for £239 (case extra). In those days the difference was a lot, but I always wished I'd had a bit more money and could have bought one.  

Image result for 1977 bell musical instrument catalogue les paul goldtop
     The SG Standard was dearer than the Les Paul in those days.  :o

I used to get the Bells catalogues, went over there once or twice but sadly could never afford anything. 
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Same here re the Bells catalogue. Too young to afford anything but used to drool over the Fenders and Gibsons. Never visited the shop.

Its hard to imagine that was kind of our ‘internet’ back then!  
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    mort said:
    Same here re the Bells catalogue. Too young to afford anything but used to drool over the Fenders and Gibsons. Never visited the shop.

Same here too. A well thumbed copy was passed between a few school friends.....sadly wasn’t in a position to buy. Who and where were Bells? 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited January 2018
    couldn't resist - another atrociously homogenising-all-guitar-sounds-into-one video from Gregor Hilden!
    'Enjoy' those Minis!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    mort said:

Same here too. A well thumbed copy was passed between a few school friends.....sadly wasn’t in a position to buy. Who and where were Bells? 
    A musical emporium in Ewell Road Surbiton.

Eric Clapton bought a guitar there and it was patronised by the West London/Surrey art school lot like Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend. 

The big deal was that they produced a large catalogue FOC and did HP terms too.