CM Plexitone - extra volume mod needed

andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
Hi,

I have an old style Carl Martin Plexitone (the one with a boost, crunch and lead footswitch) and would like to put in an extra volume control so that I separately control the level of the crunch and lead "channels".

Image result for carl martin plexitone

I've also noticed the later versions of the larger pedal design are 9v adaptor powered rather than the hard wired mains lead version I have today.  Depending on the price, I'd have that changed too.

Any recommendations for someone who could do that...and any idea how much mods cost in general?

Cheers,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042

I've also noticed the later versions of the larger pedal design are 9v adaptor powered rather than the hard wired mains lead version I have today. 
    Is this the case? Where did you see this? I’d be tempted to get one if this is true. The hardwired plug always put me off. 
  • Kylef said:

I've also noticed the later versions of the larger pedal design are 9v adaptor powered rather than the hard wired mains lead version I have today. 
    Is this the case? Where did you see this? I’d be tempted to get one if this is true. The hardwired plug always put me off. 
    It's strange because the Carl Martin site shows the old version but on Thomann...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/carl_martin_plexitone.htm

Cheers,
    Andy
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    It's easy enough to mod for 9v operation, but the extra vol pot isnt possible without butchering the circuit board or designing a replacement.

the high gain and crunch pots are the same circuit, one or other gets swapped in depending on the footswitch, very simple.  Nothing like a separate channel.

@Juansolo or I could mod it for 9v, but wouldnt want to do the vol pot.
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    edited January 2018
    Just thinking on this.  It's one circuit with two different pots that switch in and out for different ranges of gain right? 

That circuit only has a single volume control.  Could you change out the existing high gain pot for a dual concentric one?

Then wire one pot to the gain circuit as before and the other to the volume circuit? 

I'm not sure if it would switch out the other volume pot as happens with the high gain to crunch pot....or be placed additionally in series with the existing one when the high gain circuit is selected? 

Or could you just change the volume pot to dual concentric and switch one of the two pots out depending on the footswitch?

Clearly I'm no electronics expert but do you see what I'm getting at?

Cheers,
    Andy
  • bump :)