Gibson Explorer Pro - opinions ?

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
Has anyone ever had/tried an Explorer Pro ? They are slightly smaller than a normal Explorer with binding and ebony boards.

I think they were around in 2003 ish - got GAS for one out of nowhere...

:D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Didn't Manic (eventually) get one?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27378
    Manic had one last I knew. A neat idea, though I'd really have preferred it if they'd done it slightly closer to a regular explorer aesthetically
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11651
    tFB Trader
    I really like the explorer pro from the looks of it. Reminds me of the ones that Matthias Jabs plays. Would love to build one if time permitted

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5577
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • I'd have bought one if not for the 60s profile - very cool little guitars, thanks for the reminder!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16824
    edited August 2013
    I like them.  the smaller body works better for a lot of poeple
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i like the slightly smaller body, the binding, the ebony board and the thinner neck - i saw one in a shop about 10 years ago but i never played one.

• Just came across this thread. Yes - I've got one. Love it. I ordered one from new - when Gibson were still showing them on their website. Ordered it in May I think....come December they then decided not to continue with the line...and I got my money back.

Gah.

Aaannnyways....got one from eBay - and then it got resprayed a very sparkly red. It sounds great and plays really well. The only downside (and that is true of all explorers) is access to the higher frets is a bit tight.

It looks cool though, and, as I said, has a really good sound.

I had to get the Explorer Pro - cos all of my guitars have a 7/8ths size body (aside from the SG - which is kinda tiny anyways!) cos even a normal strat makes me look (more) like a midget, and an Explorer - well, I can hide behind those!

:)

• Here's one

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Here's one

That's in Kenilworth...which just happens to be where I live, so if it's what the OP is after and you want someone to have a look at it let me know.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    nice thanks for the heads up, but as is the way with GAS i'm over this now and have moved onto the next object of desire :D

I'm out of the game now until I can buy a LP Custom (1978 ideally) and then i'm done...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom